Find out more about what travel and transport support is available for people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) and where to find it.
Schemes and support services
Independent Travel Training
Independent Travel Training is a service that can offer a young person training and support if they want to learn how to travel independently between home and school or college. Travelling independently opens up social, educational and employment opportunities. This service is provided by Doncaster Council at no charge to schools, colleges, parents or carers.
The training is for young people living in Doncaster who have a disability and/or learning difficulty and who attend school or college. The programme is open to young people who meet the eligibility criteria for assisted travel to school/college. It will help a young person to learn the skills needed to make the journey between home and school or college independently, either on foot, bus or train.
For more information, please see visit website using the link below.
For information on obtaining transport for pupils with a statement of special educational needs or an Education and Health Care Plan contact the Special Educational Needs Team on:
The Blue Badge scheme provides a range of parking concessions for people with severe mobility problems who have difficulty using public transport.
Mobility Travel Pass (Bus, train and tram travel pass)
With a Mobility Travel Pass you can travel for free:
- on buses, trains and trams in South Yorkshire at any time.
- on Northern Rail trains between South Yorkshire and West Yorkshire.
- on any off-peak (9.30am to 11pm) and all day at weekends and bank holidays on any local bus journey in England.
Zero Fare Bus Pass
Zero Fare Bus Passes allow children who are entitled to it to have free transport via public transport to and from their mainstream school.
Park and Ride
Information about park and ride schemes can be found on the Travel South Yorkshire website.
- Visit our page for more information on public transport.
- Find further information about transport schemes in the Family Service Directory.
- Visit our the Local Offer home page for a list of full services and support.