Find out more about what travel and transport support is available for people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) and where to find it.

Schemes and Support Services

Independent Travel Training

Independent Travel Training is a service that can offer a young person training and support if they want to learn how to travel independently between home and school or college. Travelling independently opens up social, educational and employment opportunities. This service is provided by Doncaster Council at no charge to schools, colleges, parents or carers.

The training is for young people living in Doncaster who have a disability and/or learning difficulty and who attend school or college. The programme is open to young people who meet the eligibility criteria for assisted travel to school/college. It will help a young person to learn the skills needed to make the journey between home and school or college independently, either on foot, bus or train. 

Education Transport

The Pupil Support and Passenger Transport Team provide travel assistance to and from mainstream schools, special schools, colleges, and to interim tuition services - along with help with board and lodging cost for school residential trips.

For information on obtaining transport for pupils with an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP), please contact the Special Educational Needs (SEN) Service on:

Transport To and From Further Education Colleges

Find out what travel assistance may be available to young people travelling to and from further education colleges.

Blue Badge

The Blue Badge scheme provides a range of parking concessions for people with severe mobility problems who have difficulty using public transport.

Disabled Persons Pass

With a Disabled Person's Pass you can travel for free:

  • on buses, trains and trams in South Yorkshire at any time.
  • on Northern Rail trains between South Yorkshire and West Yorkshire.
  • on any off-peak (9.30am to 11pm) and all day at weekends and bank holidays on any local bus journey in England.

Zero Fare Bus Pass

Zero Fare Bus Passes allow children who are entitled to it to have free transport via public transport to and from their mainstream school.

Park and Ride

Doncaster Park and Ride facilities are car parks with public transport connections that allow travellers to leave their vehicles and transfer to a bus or train. Visit the Travel South Yorkshire website for more information on Doncaster Park and Ride sites.

Transport Accessibility (Travel South Yorkshire)

Find out about accessible travel on public transport on the Travel South Yorkshire website. The website includes information on:
  • Journey assistance cards
  • Door 2 door bus service (also known as community transport)
  • Talking busses in Sheffield

Free Vehicle Tax for Disabled Drivers

You may not have to pay vehicle tax if either:

 Find out if you can get free vehicle tax.

Mobility Scheme

The Motability Scheme enables people to get mobile by exchanging their mobility allowance to lease a new car, Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle (WAV), scooter or powered wheelchair.

Local Offer Homepage



Last updated: 03 June 2024 08:47:37


Find Doncaster Local Offer on Facebook

City of Doncaster Council’s Families Information Service is responsible for co-ordinating and publishing the Local Offer – Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND).

Did you find this page helpful?