What a Disabled Person's Pass is, whether you qualify for a pass, how to apply or renew your pass, and what to do if you lose your pass. Including information about senior bus passes.
With a Disabled Person's Pass you can travel for free:
- on buses, trains and trams in South Yorkshire at any time.
- on Northern Rail trains between South Yorkshire and West Yorkshire.
- on any off-peak (9.30am to 11pm) and all day at weekends and bank holidays on any local bus journey in England.
Apply for or renew a Senior Bus Pass
Do I qualify for a Pass?
You will qualify for a Disabled Person's Pass if you live in Doncaster and you meet any of the following conditions:
- You are registered with one of the following disabilities with Doncaster Council Social Services
- Partially sighted
- Physically disabled
- Without speech
- Learning disability
- You receive support from the Community Adult Learning Disability Team (CALDT)
- You have been issued a Blue Badge (for parking) by Social Services
- You are in receipt of the higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
- You are in receipt of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) with an award of 8 points in either “Moving Around” or “Communicating”.
- You are in receipt of a War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement
- You have been refused, or had your driving licence taken off you on medical grounds (other than on the grounds of persistent misuse of drugs and/or alcohol)
- A doctor or other medical professional has recommended that you do not apply for a driving licence for medical reasons, for example, because you have epilepsy.
- You have a disability or injury that has a substantial and long-term effect on your ability to walk
- the higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance, or
- Personal Independence Payment (PIP) with an award of 8 points in either “Moving Around” or “Communicating”, or
- a War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement,
apply for a pass online at Travel South Yorkshire
otherwise please complete the Disabled Person's Pass application:
Disabled Person's Pass Application
The Disabled Person's Pass Application is made online; Doncaster Digital Venues is a list of locations in Doncaster where you can access a computer to claim.
If you need to provide information to support your Disabled Person's Pass Application please complete the Disabled Person's Pass medical information request form, which is in the Resources area of this page, and email the completed form to Housing.Benefits@doncaster.gov.uk.
Once we have all the information we need, we will write to you and let you know whether you are entitled to a Disabled Person's Pass. If you are entitled, to obtain your pass you must apply for a pass online attaching a scanned image or a photograph of the award letter and other evidence they need. If you do not have access to apply online you can phone travel South Yorkshire on 01709 515151.
The 'with carer' pass
A carer may be entitled to travel for free with you if you already qualify for a pass and also receive any of the following:
- the higher rate care component of Disability Living Allowance, or
- the higher rate of Attendance Allowance, or
- the enhanced rate living component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
To apply for a ‘with carer’ pass, please provide proof of your Disability Living Allowance, Attendance Allowance or Personal Independence Payment.
The carer can be anyone helping you to travel, such as a relative, friend, support worker or professional carer. It does not have to be the same person every time.
How long does my pass last?
The expiry date is shown on the front of the pass. Your Disabled Person's Pass normally lasts for up to five years, or until you reach 66 years of age, whichever comes first.
If you are blind or partially-sighted, your Disabled Person's Pass will automatically be renewed.
How do I renew my pass?
What if I lose my Disabled Person's Pass?
Contact Travel South Yorkshire by phone on 01709 515151, by post (address is above) or dropbox at the Doncaster Interchange. A charge is made for issuing a replacement.
You should also contact Travel South Yorkshire if your pass is stolen, damaged or your address details change. Stolen passes will be replaced free of charge if you have a police crime reference number.
Further details can be obtained from Travel South Yorkshire.
- Disabled Person's Pass medical information request form
- Download (321KB - PDF)