Find out how to pay your Council Tax, apply for discounts, register a change in your circumstances and more.
Do it online
- View my account
- Sign up to e-Billing
- Apply for Direct Debit
- Pay now
- Tell us you're moving
- Tell us a tenant has moved
- Local Council Tax Reduction online application
- Apply for a discount or exemption
- Find Council Tax bands & charges
- Request a copy Council Tax bill
- Report a missing Council Tax payment
- Change my method of payment
- Single occupier discount review
- Council Tax reduction for flood affected properties
Information, advice & guidance
- Other ways to pay
- Local Council Tax reduction
- Having difficulty paying?
- How to appeal
- Debt Advice
- Council Tax Vulnerability Policy
- Council Tax Privacy Notice
- Contact Us
About Council Tax
Council Tax is a locally set tax that is payable on your home. The amount of Council Tax you pay will depend on the band your property is in, the number of adults in your dwelling and whether any discounts or exemptions apply because of the circumstances of the people living in the property or because of the status of the property. It helps to meet the cost of the services we provide, as well as contributing towards the cost of fire brigade and police services.
We are aware of a phishing scam operating in our area and encourage residents to remain vigilant.
Residents have reported receiving telephone calls, emails and text messages from fraudsters claiming to be from their Local Authority or City Council. These messages state that they are due a refund from their Council Tax and request bank account details.
We will never request your bank details in this way. If you are due a refund from your Council Tax or there has been any change to your Council Tax we will send you a bill to show this. If you pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit, we already hold your details and would refund you into the same bank account. If we do not hold your bank account details, we would send you a refund cheque through the post.
If you do receive what you think is a fraudulent call, do not give out your personal or bank account details and terminate the call.
- Council Tax leaflet 2019-20
- Download (3.87MB - PDF)
- Council Tax leaflet 2018-19
- Download (999KB - PDF)
- A Plain English Guide to Council Tax
- Download (470KB - PDF)