Housing Benefit is a national benefit that can help to pay part or all of your rent if you are a tenant and on a low income. How much you get depends on your income and circumstances. Universal Credit has been rolled out across Doncaster and you may have to claim Universal Credit instead of Housing Benefit for help with your rent. You can view your existing Housing Benefit claim through your My Doncaster account.

You can claim Housing Benefit:

  • If you (and your partner if you have one) are both the qualifying age to claim Pension Credit, or
  • You are living in supported or exempt accommodation

If the above do not apply to you; you need to claim Universal Credit to help with your rent. You can claim Universal Credit on the Gov.uk Universal Credit page. 

You may be entitled to Housing Benefit if:

  • you are on Pension Credit, or generally on a low income; and
  • you do not have more than £16,000 in savings (but if you receive Pension Credit Guarantee, you may still be entitled to help); and 
  • you have to pay rent for your home

If you have to pay Council Tax for your home, and are on a low income, you may be entitled to Council Tax Reduction. You do not have to pay rent to claim this. There is more information about this on the Local Council Tax Reduction page. You will still need to make a claim for Council Tax Reduction if you receive, or are making a claim for, Universal Credit. 

You can make a claim now using the 'Claiming housing benefit' link below, the same form is used to claim either Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction, or both. The claim is made online; Doncaster Digital Venues is a list of locations in Doncaster where you can access a computer to claim. 

If your application is submitted successfully, you will receive an email from donotreply@victoriaforms.co.uk confirming the date and time your form was submitted.

If you partially complete your claim, you must save it and you will be provided with a reference number so you can access and complete it at a later date.

If you do not receive an email or a reference number, then you have not successfully submitted or saved your claim.

Do it online

Information, advice and guidance

Last updated: 17 February 2021 10:57:33

Did you find this page helpful?