What is Local Council Tax Reduction?

Local Council Tax Reduction helps people on a low income pay their Council Tax.


The Council's Local Council Tax Reduction scheme

Council's set their own local scheme to support working-age people on a low income to pay their Council Tax. The Government sets the rules for pensioners. The help for both is known as Local Council Tax Reduction.

The main differences to the Council Tax Reduction scheme for pensioners and the local scheme for working-age are:

  • The rate at which support is withdrawn increased from 20% to 30%. This applies when your income is higher than the amount you should be able to live on, using amounts set by the Government for Housing Benefit. For every £1 over that amount, the maximum Council Tax Support amount will be reduced by 30 pence.
  • All child benefit is included in the assessment of how much income someone has when we work out their Council Tax Reduction.
  • Maintenance received for children or from a former partner is included in the assessment of how much income someone has when we work out their Council Tax Reduction. 
  • Alternative Maximum Council Tax Benefit (Second Adult Rebate) is removed for working age claims.

These changes do not apply to pensioners or anyone receiving maximum Council Tax Reduction because they also receive Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance or income-related Employment and Support Allowance.

No local changes to the scheme have been made from 1 April 2020, 1 April 2021, 1 April 2022 or 1 April 2023, only those prescribed by the Government.

A copy of Doncaster's scheme from 1 April 2023 is available from the Downloads & Resources area.


Can I qualify for help?

If you have a low income, you may be entitled to some help with your Council Tax. Our Council Tax Reduction scheme can pay all or part of your Council Tax. The amount of help you get generally depends on your income and savings and the income and savings of anyone else who lives in your home.

You may qualify for a reduction if you: 

  • pay Council Tax for your home
  • are on benefits such as Jobseeker's Allowance or Pension Credit.
  • are working and on low pay including self employed
  • are on Universal Credit (depending on your total income, including wages)
  • do not have more than £16,000 in savings (if you receive Pension Credit Guarantee, you may still be entitled to help) 

How much you will qualify for depends on your circumstances, including how much your income is and who else lives in the property with you.

If you are a Doncaster resident and you claim Universal Credit, if you indicate on your Universal Credit claim that you want to claim Council Tax Reduction, you do not need to make a separate claim to the Council. We will use information the Department for Work and Pensions send us to work out if you are entitled to Council Tax Reduction. We will contact you if we need any further information from you. 

If you have reached state pension age, you can claim Second Adult Rebate to help with your Council Tax. This is based on the circumstances of other adults who live with you.

You can find out how much Council Tax Reduction or Second Adult Rebate you could be entitled to; by using our online calculator.

How to apply

You must apply directly to us. Apply straight away using our online form, you can also claim Housing Benefit at the same time:

If you need help to complete the online application form, call into the Council's Civic Office in Waterdale, Doncaster or any Customer Service Centre. The claim for Local Council Tax Reduction is made online; Doncaster Digital Venues is a list of locations in Doncaster where you can access a computer to claim. 

For more information on claiming Council Tax Reduction, including how to report changes in your circumstances, please visit the Claiming Housing Benefit and Local Council Tax Reduction and Useful forms pages.  


Last updated: 01 April 2024 00:01:37

Did you find this page helpful?