Financial Assessments for Care and Support

If you, or someone on your behalf, apply for care and support from the council, we will offer you a financial assessment to check whether you are eligible for any financial help from the council towards the costs of your social care and support.

The financial assessment uses the legislation and guidance produced by the Department of Health for this purpose.

If you take up the offer of a financial assessment, we will need to know about your income including things such as pensions and any other state benefits you claim, savings, investments, land and property. We will also offer you a welfare benefits check to make sure you are receiving all the benefits you are able to apply for.

If you do not want a financial assessment it will be assumed that you are able to pay for your care in full and you will not receive any financial help towards your care fees.

After your financial assessment is completed, we will let you know how much (if any) financial assistance you are eligible for and how much of your own money you will need to contribute, towards the cost of your care.
We have listed some of our most frequently asked questions below, but you can also find further information on the attached guides.

Frequently-Asked Questions

Who pays for my care?

National Insurance pays for things such as State Pension but does not pay for social care costs. Doncaster council manages this type of care; you can apply directly to the council to be assessed for care through a ‘care needs assessment’. The next step is a financial assessment to work out how much (if any) financial assistance you may be entitled to from the council.

How does a financial assessment work?

The financial assessment will take into account:
  • your current income – this includes any earnings, state pension, works pension and any benefits you receive 
  • your ‘assets’ – this includes things such as savings, investments, land and property

Are there different types of financial assessment?

Your financial assessment will use different rules to work out if you are able to have financial help towards your care and support, depending on the type of care you are assessed as needing. For example, there are different rules for care in your own home and care in a care home.

How do you work out how much financial help I may be able to have?

If your total ‘assets’ are above the value of £23,250, you will not be entitled to financial assistance and will have to pay for your care fees in full from your own means.

Any capital assets you have up to £14,250 will not be taken into account in your financial assessment. If you have capital between £14,250 and £23,250 we have to include a set weekly amount as part of your income when we are looking at whether you qualify for any financial assistance from the Council towards your care and support. This is called tariff income. Tariff income is set at £1 per week for every £250, or part of £250 that you have over £14,250. For example, if you have capital of £15,000, we include £3 a week tariff income.

What is a ‘self-funder’?

A self-funder is an individual who has been assessed as having eligible needs for social care support, and has enough assets to fund their own care without the help of Doncaster council. More information can be found in our ‘Guide to Self-funding’.

What is a ‘Deferred Payments Agreement’?

If your assets are ‘tied up ‘in your property and therefore cannot be easily accessed to pay for care costs, you may be able to sign up to a Deferred Payments Agreement to pay for your care home fees.

If you are eligible for a Deferred Payment Agreement, Doncaster Council will help to pay your care home fees on your behalf. Repayment of care fees can then be delayed until your property is sold or until after your death. More information can be found in our ‘Guide to Deferred Payment Agreement’.

When will I receive my first bill?

You will get your first bill shortly after you receive the financial assessment. Bills are sent on a four-weekly basis, so you will receive thirteen bills per year. Bills will be backdated to the start date of your care and support.

What should I do if my financial circumstances change?

If there is any change to your income or capital, the financial assessment team will need to be informed as soon as possible after the change and you will be asked to provide proof of this. If you receive certain benefits, you must also tell the Department for Work and Pensions.

What happens when I receive a new financial assessment?

A revised financial assessment will be issued if there have been any changes to your income and capital. Any changes to your financial assessment will result in an adjusted bill, which will be backdated to the date your finances changed.

How do I ask for a Financial Assessment

You can apply for an assessment online at Financial Assessment for Care and Support - Doncaster Council

Further information

For more information about Financial Assessments for Care and Support, contact Finance Assessment Team:

Telephone: 01302 735336

Write to us
Doncaster Council
Financial Assessment Team
Civic Office, Waterdale
Doncaster, DN1 3BU

In person
Civic Office Customer Service Centre, Waterdale
Doncaster, DN1 3BU

Opening hours:
Monday to Friday
8:30am – 5:00pm



Last updated: 04 April 2024 08:39:39

Did you find this page helpful?