Key contacts for reporting flooding and blocked gullies in Doncaster

Flooding advice

Please visit the flood advice page for anyone who has been affected by flooding or at risk of flooding.

If there is an immediate risk to life or you are trapped by flood water, please call the emergency services on 999.

Contact City of Doncaster Council, Yorkshire Water, Severn Trent Water or the Environment Agency Floodline to report flooding from roads, water mains, public drains, sewers or rivers. Details can be found below.

For guidance on flooding visit Yorkshire Water -

If you are unsure which agency to contact please ring City of Doncaster Council for advice and support on 01302 736000 Monday to Friday 8:30am- 5pm. Outside of these hours call our out of hours number on 01302 737199.

Flooding from roads

Report Flooding

If you believe the problem is dangerous and could cause an emergency situation, please ring during office hours (Monday to Friday 8:30am - 5pm) 01302 736000 or outside of these hours 01302 737199.

Flooding from blocked road gullies

A gully consists of a concrete pot positioned under the road surface with an iron grate visible from the road. The water collects in the concrete pot and is then channelled through a series of pipes before connecting into the main sewer network. Sometimes these pipes and channels become blocked with soil, dead leaves and rubbish, preventing the free flow of water to the main sewer.

Report blocked gullies

Public Sewers 

Report a blocked sewer or sewerage flooding to either Yorkshire Water, Severn Trent Water or Anglian Water (depending on the area you live in). 

Yorkshire Water: 0345 1 24 24 24  (24hr service)
Severn Trent Water: 0800 783 4444 (24hr service)
Anglian Water: 03457 145 145 (24hr service)

If you are unsure which water company to contact, please contact City of Doncaster Council for further guidance. 

Private sewers, drains and flooding in your home 

Flooding in your home is the responsibility of the homeowner or occupier. This includes private sewers, drains and flooded cellars. Yorkshire Water or drainage contractors may fix the damage for a fee. If there are any health concerns following a flooding incident you can obtain further advice from City of Doncaster Council on 01302 736000 Monday to Friday 8am to 5:30pm. Out of these hours please call 01302 737199.

Flooding from a burst water main 

Report flooding from a burst water main to Yorkshire Water

Flooding from a main river

Call the Environment Agency Floodline: 0345 988 1188 (24hr service) or Typetalk (for people hard of hearing) on 0345 602 6340.

For further information on main rivers see the Environment Agency - River and rainfall levels in Doncaster.

Flooding from other rivers and groundwater

Report Flooding

or call City of Doncaster Council on 01302 736000 Monday to Friday 8am-5:30pm. Out of these hours call 01302 737199. 

Floodwater run off

Floodwater run off from ordinary watercourses and culverted (i.e piped) watercourses, run off from higher land and waterlogged gardens is the responsibility of individual land owners.  However, for advice and support you can call City of Doncaster Council on 01302 736000.

Internal Drainage Boards

There are 3 IDBs in Doncaster (Danvm, Doncaster East and Black Drain). An IDB manages water levels within its districts for land management, flood risk management, irrigation and environmental benefits.

For further information on IDBs, visit the website: Shire Group of IDBs


  • Requests for sandbags – If you have not received sandbags and are concerned that you will need some, you can call our flood advice helpline on 01302 735 688. Please note that the areas which may experience flooding will be prioritised.
  • Contaminated sandbags – If you have a sandbag that has been touched by flood water / sewage / oil / fuel, this is now classed as contaminated waste.
  • Untouched sandbags – If you were given sandbags as a precautionary measure and they have remained untouched by flood water, either keep hold of the sandbags for future use (they have a 3 month shelf-life) or place them on the side of the road for collection away from any contaminated sandbags.

Other useful links

Last updated: 15 December 2023 15:21:19

Did you find this page helpful?