Blue bin - recycling

All the information you will need about your blue recycling bin.

Coronavirus - Update

Help us to keep you and our collection staff safe by taking these simple precautions. Please wash your hands before putting your bins out, and after putting them out wipe bin handles with soap and water, sanitiser sprays, alcohol wipes, normal cleaning agents or disinfectant. Repeat the process after you've collected your bin from the kerbside, wiping the handles down well and washing your hands.

Anyone whose household is displaying symptoms of corona virus and self-isolating (even if not a confirmed case) must store their recycling for at least 72 hours before putting it out for collection in their blue bin.

Please be aware that the collection of Small Electrical items & Textiles from the kerbside has been temporarily suspended, this is because the presentation of other materials is very high and due to service demand it has been necessary to acquire additional collection vehicles, the replacement vehicles are not equipped with compartments to separately store these materials for recycling.

To maximise the capacity for recycling in the blue bin householders should wash and squash materials including plastic bottles and cans and break up cardboard boxes.


When is my collection?

You can check when your collection day is due using our interactive collection calendar below, or using the paper calendar that will have been put through your door. 

Report a missed collection

To report that your bin has not been collected on your scheduled collection day, please see our missed bin collection form.

What can I recycle in my blue bin?

You can put the items below in your blue bin.

Note that you do not need to bag up the recycling separately, simply place them straight into the bin.

  • Paper (including shredded paper and envelopes except padded ones) but not wrapping paper, gift bags or books.
  • Cardboard (large pieces should be broken up so they fit in), but not greetings cards with glitter, foil or ribbons. 
  • Tins
  • Cans
  • Foil
  • Empty aerosols
  • Plastic bottles and bottle lids. Please take the bottle lids off before putting them in your blue bin. The lids can also go into your blue bin.
  • Lids from glass bottles and jars.
  • Liquid food cartons (Tetra Pak)

Glass bottles and jars are collected from your green box.

Small electrical items (such as toasters or kettles) and textiles (such as clothes, shoes, towels and bed sheets) can be put in a plastic bag next to your blue bin or green box, please take care to ensure textiles are kept dry, wet textiles cannot be taken. 

Other questions you may have

Why can I not put plastic pots, tubs and trays in my blue bin?

Unfortunately, low grade plastics like plastic food trays, yoghurt pots and plastic bags are difficult to separate and send for recycling. These items should go in your black bin where they will be used to create ‘refuse derived fuel’ – a replacement to fossil fuel that will be used to generate electricity.

I have help with my collections, will I also get help with my blue bin?

If the collection crews currently collect your bins and box from your property because you are unable to bring them to your collection point, we will deliver your blue bin to the same place and will automatically collect it from this point when the new services begin. We will write to every household who is registered for help before their blue bin is delivered, so they are aware of its arrival.

Why do I need to put glass in my green box when everything else goes in my blue bin?

Your recyclables will be collected and tipped a number of times during the journey from your home to the recycling facility, and at each stage there is a high risk of glass being broken. The shards of glass would mix with your other recyclables and make it harder for them to be recycled. By collecting glass separately we are making sure that as much of your recycling as possible is turned into something new.

I use sacks or a small black bin for my waste which has been agreed with the Council, will I get a blue bin?

If you use a small black bin, you will also receive a similar size blue bin. If you use sacks for your refuse we will contact you about separate arrangements for your recycling before the new service starts.

Where is my blue bin collected from?

Some households present their collection containers in different locations. If you are unsure where to put your blue bin out, our advice is, present it at the same place where you present your black or green bin, unless you've been told otherwise by us by letter.

My bin is damaged or missing - what do I do?

Please visit our ordering a new or replacement bin page for information on reporting a damaged blue bin.

Have more questions or need help understanding the service?

If you've read all the information above and still need help, you can contact our customer services team by phoning 01302 736 000

Last updated: 01 July 2020 09:17:04