All the information you will need about your blue recycling bin.
Coronavirus - Update
Black and Blue bins will continue to be collected so please present them on alternate weeks according to your bin calendar.
Help us to keep you and our collection staff safe by taking these simple precautions:
- please wash your hands before putting your bins out
- after putting them out wipe bin handles with soap and water, sanitiser sprays, alcohol wipes, normal cleaning agents or disinfectant
- repeat the process after you've collected your bin from the kerbside, wiping the handles down well and washing your hands.
Anyone whose household is displaying symptoms of corona virus and self-isolating (even if not a confirmed case) must store their recycling for at least 72 hours before putting it out for collection in their blue bin.
We have temporarily suspended the collection of textiles from the kerbside. This is because the volume of other materials presented for collection is very high and it has been necessary to hire additional collection vehicles. These additional vehicles are not equipped with compartments to separately store textiles
The collection of small electrical items from the kerbside has recommenced where space on the vehicle allows. There is limited space to store small electrical items on a collection vehicle, additional vehicles hired are not equipped with compartments to separately store small electrical items
If you have presented small electrical items alongside your Blue bin and they have not been collected; please bring the item(s) back inside the boundary and present on your next Recycling collection day. We cannot guarantee your item(s) will be collected
These items can be taken to your nearest Household Waste Recycling Centre.
To maximise the capacity for recycling in the blue bin householders should wash and squash materials including plastic bottles and cans and break up cardboard boxes.
When is my collection?
You can check when your collection day is by using the paper calendar that is delivered annually or by using the interactive calendar by clicking on the button below.
What should I do so my blue bin is collected?
- put your bin out to the edge of your property by 7am on your collection day and take it back in when emptied
- with the exception of any small electrical items and textiles, all waste must be presented inside your blue bin
- additional cardboard can be placed in a sturdy cardboard box at the side of the bin
- please ensure the lid is firmly closed to prevent littering
Report a missed collection
To report that your bin has not been collected on your scheduled collection day, please see our missed bin collection form.
What can I recycle in my blue bin?
You can put the items below in your blue bin.
You do not need to bag up the recycling separately, simply place it straight into the bin.
- paper (including shredded paper and envelopes except padded ones) but not wrapping paper, gift bags or books
- cardboard (large pieces should be broken up so they fit in), but not greetings cards with glitter, foil or ribbons
- empty aerosols
- plastic bottles and bottle lids. Please take the bottle lids off before putting them in your blue bin. The lids can also go into your blue bin
- lids from glass bottles and jars
Glass bottles and jars are collected from your green box.
Small electrical items (such as toasters or kettles) and textiles (such as clothes, shoes, towels and bed sheets) can be put in a plastic bag next to your blue bin or green box. Please take care to ensure textiles are kept dry, wet textiles cannot be taken.
Other questions you may have
Why can I not put plastic pots, tubs and trays in my blue bin?
I have help with my collections, will I also get help with my blue bin?
Why do I need to put glass in my green box when everything else goes in my blue bin?
I use sacks or a small black bin for my waste which has been agreed with the Council, can I get a blue bin?
Where is my blue bin collected from?
My bin is damaged or missing - what do I do?
Have more questions or need help understanding the service?
If you've read all the information above and still need help, you can contact our customer services team by phoning 01302 736 000
- Blue bin FAQs
- Download (852KB - DOC)