Occupational Therapy

Our Occupational Therapy Team assists people of all ages to be safe, well and as independent as possible in their everyday lives. If you are finding it difficult to carry out daily tasks such as getting in/ out of your house, getting out of your chair, in/ out of the bath or to the toilet we have a range of strategies and advice to help you remain as independent as possible. You can also find advice on getting the right equipment yourself without the need for an Occupational Therapy assessment below.

We will visit you in your home, or invite you to one of our Assessment Clinics, to see what we can do to help promote your safety and independence.

How can the Occupational Therapy Team benefit you?

  • We will work with you to help you find a new way of doing a task such as preparing a meal or drink, dressing and personal hygiene, getting in, out and around your home, please see the following page Homecare STEPS team
  • Discuss specialist equipment to aid your daily living
  • Provide minor adaptations such as grab rails, if you are thinking about purchasing your own equipment please visit finding the right equipment for yourself
  • Arranging major adaptations such as ramps or stairlifts
  • Working with your carer to offer them advice in the best way to support you
  • With your consent, we can signpost you to relevant services who may be able to help

Am I eligible?

  • Residents who live in the Doncaster area
  • Residents who are permanently and substantially disabled
  • Residents who have significant difficulties in their daily life and want to be more independent
  • Carer/s for a disabled person/s and who are experiencing difficulties

How do I apply?

You can do this yourself, or get someone like a friend, relative, advocate, or any health or social care professional to call us on 01302 736000 between 8.30 am – 5 pm Monday - Friday. If you have a sensory impairment, please contact the Adult Sensory Team. We will contact you as soon as we can to arrange a clinic appointment or a home visit.

We will then look at the information you give us to decide if we can help. If so, we will then contact you to arrange a clinic appointment, a remote telephone or video assessment or a home visit.

What is an assessment?

A member of the Occupational Therapy team will talk to you about how you manage with everyday activities. Together with you, and your carer, if appropriate, we will work out what meets your needs. The assessment usually takes about an hour. If English is not your first language, we can arrange for an interpreter to be there. After the assessment, we will send you a written summary of what is agreed. If your needs change or you move house, please let us know as soon as possible by ringing our Integrated front office on 01302 736000.

Is there a charge?

The assessment and minor adaptations are free of charge. Any equipment provided will be on a long-term loan, also free of charge. You may be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant towards the cost of major adaptations. This is a means-tested grant and you may need to pay a contribution. We will explain how this works. If you are a council tenant, adaptations will be free of charge.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why do I need an assessment? Can’t you just supply me with the equipment?

There are lots of ways to help people deal with the problems they are having. This could be doing the activity a different way, supplying equipment, getting help or having things like a stair lift or a second bannister rail in your home. The assessment decides exactly what you need to help with your particular problem.

Why do I have to come to a clinic? Can’t you come out and see me at home?

A clinic is held at the Stirling Centre for people who might need equipment and/or minor adaptations such as grab rails. There is a very high demand for this service and the clinic was set up so that we could help people more quickly. If there is a genuine reason why you are unable to come to the clinic, you will be offered a home visit.

Do you provide walking sticks and walking frames?

No, you would need to ask your GP to refer you to Physiotherapy.

Do you provide wheelchairs?

No, you would need to ask your GP to refer you to the Wheelchair Service.

Where am I on the waiting list and when will I be seen?

We receive 80 to 100 referrals a week and decide how quickly they will be seen based on the person’s medical condition, what they need help with and whether there is any risk of injury to the person or their carer. As we cannot predict the types of referrals that we receive, we cannot give people an idea of when they will be seen. However, if you feel that your condition has changed or your needs have increased, then please contact us and we will look again at your request. You can also explore this website if you would like to look into organising help yourself. If you no longer need our service, then please let us know.

How do I get to speak to my Occupational Therapist?

Please ring 736000. When prompted, please dial zero and say the name of the person you want to speak to. You will be automatically put through.

Can I arrange to have some unwanted equipment collected?

Please ring NRS, our equipment store, on 0300 100 0243.

My equipment is not working – how do I get it replaced?

Please ring NRS, our equipment store, on 0300 100 0243

The equipment I was issued no longer meets my needs. What should I do?

Please ring the Adult Contact Team on 737391 to make a new referral to our service.

When will my stair lift/shower/rails be fitted?

Please ring our Adaptations Team on 737388 or 735757.

Can I have a dropped kerb as it is hard to park in my street?

We sometimes recommend dropped kerbs for people who have severe difficulty walking, but you would have to have an assessment by one of our Occupational Therapists who would decide whether you qualified for this. If the only problem is difficulty in parking on your street, we would not provide a dropped kerb. However, you could visit the following dropped kerb page to see whether you could fund this yourself.

Can I have a ramp for my mobility scooter?

We would consider this for people who are full-time wheelchair users or where the person is unable to walk even short distances and/or manage steps safely, but you would have to be assessed by one of our Occupational Therapists.

My shower is finished; how do I get a shower seat?

Please contact your Occupational Therapist who will order this for you.

Can I have an adaptation such as a level access shower or a ramp removed from my St Leger home?

You would have been allocated an adapted property because this meets your needs. Adaptations will therefore not be removed.


The following video shows how we help people to live and not just exist:

Last updated: 22 September 2022 15:33:41