Housing adaptations help you to stay mobile in and around your home.

Adaptations can range from small items, such as grab rails and lever taps, to major alterations.

If you think that you need any of this work, you will first have to be assessed and advised on how best to meet your needs in accordance with government guidelines. After this, we will arrange for the work to be carried out. You can request an assessment by contacting us on 01302 737391 for yourself or on behalf of someone else if you have their permission. The Assessment Officers will explain the assessment process to you and what happens next.

When a recommendation is received from social care one of the following takes place:

  • Minor adaptations - An order will be generated and passed to the contractor for the proposed works to be carried out.
  • Major works - We will visit your home within five days of receipt of the recommendations and carry out a survey. We will then produce a schedule of the proposed works.

If you are on the council's re-housing waiting list, only minor adaptations will be carried out. If you are in need of major works, you will first have to withdraw your housing application.

How long will this process take?

We work hard to get all work completed as quickly as possible. The length of time this takes depends on the type of work and how urgent your circumstances are.

For home adaptations:

  • Minor adaptations such as grab rails, lever taps, and mop stick rails will usually be installed in approximately 4 weeks
  • Major adaptations such as ramps, and showering facilities, will usually be installed in approximately 12 weeks

The current guidance suggests that urgent adaptations should be completed in 50 working days (10 weeks) and non-urgent within 130 working days (26 weeks).

Adaptation is not the only answer in meeting the housing needs of people with medical or physical disabilities. Below are descriptions of other services that we provide.

Accessible Housing Register (AHR)

The accessible housing register holds the details of people who require special need housing because their current accommodation is unsuitable for their specific needs.

Our AHR coordinator liaises with Doncaster Home Choice and is notified of all properties that become available for allocation and have been purpose built, adapted or have special features that could benefit someone with a disability and will nominate prospective tenants to these properties on the basis of need.

Housing Assessment Panel (HAP)

The HAP comprises of a panel of Doncaster Council and staff from St Leger Homes of Doncaster.

Cases are discussed in reference to the urgency and priority for housing need.

In the case of a customer with a disability who may need expensive adaptations to allow them to remain in their current property, we may look at sourcing a more suitable property, saving the customer the upheaval of extensive works to their accommodation, as well as saving us the costs of unnecessary adaptations.

More information

Last updated: 09 June 2021 18:00:42