Our purpose is for there to be strong, active, inclusive and resilient communities across the whole of Doncaster, effectively building on and using their strengths and assets to work in partnership to improve their quality of life and well-being, to make their neighbourhoods safe and supportive and able to tackle the issues that matter to them.
About the Communities Neighbourhood Service
The core offer falls into the following areas of work
- Stronger communities - tackling all forms of anti-social behaviour, Hate Crime and lower level community safety issues within neighbourhoods
- Well-being, early intervention and prevention - a community and family approach to supporting people to live in their own homes and be supported within the community
- Stronger Families – support the local co-ordination of the stronger families programme
- Community capacity building and engagement - to increase the number of volunteers and volunteering opportunities, to encourage and develop community activity, and support communities to do more for themselves
The focus of the service is:
- an all age service working in a whole family way tackling issues at an early stage.
- bringing services, partners and communities together locally to understand needs and work together locally to find solutions to meet these needs
- prevention and early intervention, particularly to those most vulnerable and preventing issues from escalating such anti-social behaviour , neighbourhood nuisance and low level criminal damage
- supporting independence and improving health and well-being
- enabling people and communities to do the best for themselves by building on their strengths
- building capacity and resilience in communities, individuals and families to do more for themselves, to take on community assets and deliver local activities
- building strong, inclusive and cohesive communities and families
- getting people active both physically and socially, developing lower level community groups, networks and organisations thus building social capital working with others to enhance skills and access to work and other opportunities such as volunteering
There are 88 individual communities across Doncaster and there are 21 Electoral Wards.
The Borough of Doncaster has been spilt into four Area Teams covering Central, East, South and North.
The Area teams are responsible for working in partnership with a range of agencies to deliver a joined up approach that addresses needs identified within an area as well as more cross cutting and complex work around community tensions and cohesion.
The communities within the East area are aligned into five ward areas:
- Armthorpe ward
- Edenthorpe and Kirk Sandall ward
- Hatfield ward
- Stainforth and Barnby Dun ward
- Thorne and Moorends ward
The communities within the West area are aligned into five ward areas:
- Adwick and Carcroft ward
- Bentley ward
- Norton and Askern ward
- Roman Ridge ward
- Sprotbrough ward
The communities within the Central area are aligned into five ward Areas:
- Balby South ward
- Bessacarr ward
- Hexthorpe and Balby North ward
- Town ward
- Wheatley and Intake ward
The communities within the South area are aligned into six ward areas:
- Conisbrough and Denaby ward
- Edlington and Warmsworth ward
- Mexborough ward
- Rossington and Bawtry ward
- Tickhill and Wadworth ward
- Finningley Ward
Maximising the use of green open space and woodlands across the borough, encouraging their use by the community by providing environmental education, a volunteering programme, early intervention and prevention and encouraging a healthy lifestyle through the delivery of a programme of walk, conservation activities and events. Please view the following Visit Doncaster web page for details of Countryside Activities
For further information about activities and groups in your local community visit the Your Life Doncaster Webpage
Building a sustainable allotment provision, maximising the use of available plots and encouraging their use as a community asset and as part of a healthy lifestyle
Please visit our DMBC Armed Forces Support page for more information. Alternatively, local support and dedicated information around health & Wellbeing, Finance, Housing, community Groups and much more can be found on our dedicated Armed Forces Your Life Doncaster Page around support for our Armed Forces Community.