Accidents, risks, and hazards on the highway

Any hazard in the highway (road or pavement) caused as a result of an accident, damage or vandalism may be considered a risk to the public and could result in personal injury to pedestrians, road users or possible damage to property.

The following types of damage are considered to be a risk:

  • gully or drain cover missing
  • wall exposing a large drop to the rear on either the pavement or road
  • pedestrian guard railing protruding into the pavement or road
  • fencing protruding into the pavement or road
  • concrete bollard knocked over onto the pavement or road
  • inspection cover missing or damaged
  • bridge parapets damaged
  • oil spillages on the road
  • lamp columns knocked down, wires exposed or lanterns hanging loose
  • road traffic bollards knocked down or broken
  • sign poles knocked down or sign plates hanging loose
  • traffic signals lights not working or traffic light head broken or hanging loose

Report damage to the highway via the online forms below:

The report will then be classed as either an emergency or routine work based on the type of damage.

We require as much of the following information as possible to respond to your report:

  • street name and area
  • location on street, ie; is it near a house number or road junction
  • description and detail of the damage
  • your name and a contact number (optional)
  • date and approximate time of damage
  • persons or vehicle registration responsible for damage (if known)
  • were the police in attendance?   

For emergency works classed as safety critical, we aim to make a hazard safe within two hours of being made aware of it. The damage is then assessed by a technician and an order issued for repairs as either reactive work within twenty five working days, or planned work depending on the extent and location of the damage.

When a report of a hazard or damage is received the person taking the report will attempt to identify ownership and establish who is responsible for the property or street furniture from the details provided.

If the damage is clearly not the responsibility of the Council, then ownership details can be established and we will contact the respective statutory undertaker or owner who is responsible. A request will be made that they attend and make the hazard safe within a set timescale. If they are unable to meet this timescale then the Council will make the hazard safe and will then recover the costs.

If the responsibility cannot be established and the damage or hazard requires making safe, the Council will carry out the work within two hours and attempt to recover the costs from the property owner.

The following are some examples of street furniture and property that is not the responsibility of the Council:

  • inspection covers in the pavement or road for example; stop taps, fire hydrants, manholes and valve boxes
  • walls built for non-highway purposes
  • cellar covers
  • British Telecom or Cable cabinets

To make a claim contact us using the contact details below:

It is a legal requirement that you send full details of the incident by completing the Incident Report Form on the following page: Insurance Claims.

Last updated: 20 November 2023 07:24:50

Did you find this page helpful?