If you are voting in a polling station, you will have to show an official form of photographic ID before you can be given a ballot paper.

This applies to all local elections, referendums, Police and Crime Commissioner elections, Combined Authority Mayoral elections and Parliamentary elections.

The following list includes the photographic identification that can be presented at the polling station:

  • A passport issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, a British Overseas Territory, an EEA state, or a Commonwealth country
  • A driving licence issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or an EEA state
  • A biometric immigration document
  • An identity card bearing Proof of Age Standard Scheme hologram (a pass card)
  • A Ministry of Defence Form 90 (Defence Identity Card)
  • A Blue Badge
  • A national identity card issued by an EEA state
  • An Older Persons Bus Pass
  • A Disabled Persons Bus Pass
  • An Oyster 60+ Card
  • A Freedom pass
  • A Scottish National Entitlement Card issued in Scotland.
  • A 60 and Over Welsh Concessionary Travel Card issued in Wales.
  • A Disabled Person's Welsh Concessionary Travel card issued in Wales
  • A Senior SmartPass issued in Norther Ireland
  • A Registered Blind SmartPass or Blind Person's Smart Pass issued in Northern Ireland
  • A 60+ SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
  • A Half Fare SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
  • An Electoral Identity card issued in Northern Ireland.


You only need to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate if:

  • You do not have accepted photo ID
  • you no longer look like the photo on your ID
  • the name on your photo ID is different to your name on the electoral register.

It's free to apply and you'll need

  • a recent, digital photo of yourself
  • your National Insurance number

You can still apply if you do not have a National Insurance number. You’ll need to provide other documents to prove your identity, for example a birth certificate, bank statement and utility bill.

Apply online: 


You can also apply using a paper application form which is available online to download and print off.  You will need a recent physical passport photo of yourself.

Alternatively, you can contact Electoral Services to request a paper application form to be sent to you.

There’s a different form for applying by post if you live abroad, you’re in the armed forces, a Crown Servant or a British Council employee.

Useful links, Information, advice & guidance

Contact us

For further information, please contact us: 

Last updated: 20 February 2024 17:41:58

Did you find this page helpful?