Landlord Licensing

To rent out properties in Doncaster you may need a licence. The license you need will depend on the location, type, size and number of people living in the property.

There are currently three types of landlord licences:

Licences for Houses in Multiple Occupation

Mandatory licensing

A House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) is a property that is occupied by 3 or more unrelated individuals who are not from 1 ‘household’ (e.g. a family) and do not have exclusive occupation of the whole property, but share facilities like the bathroom and kitchen.

If your property is:

  • rented to 5 or more people who are unrelated or form more than 1 household
  • tenants share toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities

Your property is defined as a large HMO and you will need to apply for a mandatory licence.

Mandatory licences are valid for up to 5 years.


Additional licensing

The Council has introduced a scheme in parts of central Doncaster (the same areas covered by the Article 4 declaration) to reduce the threshold for HMO licensing to four people forming more than one household. Apart from this reduction, the other criteria are the same as for mandatory licensing. 

Additional licensing will run from 1st October 2018 to 30th September 2023


Selective licence

Selective licensing applies to properties in Hexthorpe and Edlington which are rented out to tenants.

The dates this applies are:

Hexthorpe: 1st July 2015 – 30th June 2020

Edlington: 7th February 2018 - 6th February 2023



Related information

Contact details



Last updated: 27 January 2020 09:16:52