Houses in multiple occupation licensing

If you're a landlord or property managing agent who lets houses in multiple occupation (HMOs), you may need to apply for a licence. Due to the recent changes in national legislation and the introduction of additional licensing, we are experiencing some delays in the processing of applications. Your patience is appreciated.

Do I need an HMO licence?

Most landlords and property managing agents who let a property which meets the criteria of an HMO will need to apply for an HMO licence. This is done through the council where the property is located.

If your property doesn't meet the criteria, and you rent out properties in Hexthorpe and Edlington, you may need to apply for a selective landlord licence.
The Council has introduced an additional licensing scheme for smaller HMO's in the urban areas of Doncaster, you may need to apply for an additional licence in these areas

To see if you’re exempt from applying, please read the following section.

Failure to apply for a licence can lead to unlimited fines, a criminal record and potentially rent repayment orders.

Do I need planning permission?

We encourage all applicants to ensure they have the required planning permission before submitting a HMO licence application.  Doncaster Council has made an Article 4 Direction which means that anyone who wants to convert a property to an HMO, in the defined area, will need to apply for planning permission.  Details of the Article 4 area can be found on the Council’s website.  Outside the Article 4 area, planning permission will be required for any HMO with more than 6 people.

 The Government actively encourage all Councils to ensure planning permission has been given before issuing a licence.  Therefore, the Council will not look to grant an HMO licence unless the appropriate planning permission, where required, has already been given.

 Advice on how to apply for or check that you have the appropriate planning permission can be found here:

Who's exempt from applying?

You’re exempt from applying for a license if you let a building/part of a building which is:

  1. Controlled or managed by the following public sector bodies:
    • local housing authorities
    • non-profit registered providers of social housing
    • public sector bodies which are registered as social landlords under Part 1 of the Housing Act 1996 (c. 52). Please click the link at the bottom of this section for further details
    • police and crime commissioners
    • the Mayor's Office for Policing and Crime,
    • a fire and rescue authority
    • a Health Service Body
  2. Controlled or managed by a co-operative society

  3. Regulated otherwise than under the Housing Act 2004

  4. Occupied solely or mainly by people studying a full-time further/higher education course at an educational establishment, or one of a specified description. The property is also controlled or managed by an educational establishment, or a person of a specified description

  5. Occupied by religious communities

  6. Occupied by owners

  7. Occupied by two persons who make up two households

For full details of exemptions, please refer to Schedule 14 of the Housing Act 2004.

How much will it cost?

Fees are charged for licensing a house in multiple occupation and licences are valid for up to 5 years.

New application £815 (up to 5 bedrooms) + £56 per additional room
Renewal* £755 (up to 5 bedrooms) + £56 per additional room                              

*If renewing, the application must be made before the existing licence has lapsed.

Apply for or renew a licence

To apply for a licence, please click the button below and follow the link for how to apply or how to renew.

Licences will be granted if:

  • the house is, or can be made, suitable for multiple occupation
  • the applicant is a fit and proper person and the most appropriate person to hold the licence
  • the proposed manager has control of the house, and is a fit and proper person to be the manager
  • the management arrangements are satisfactory

Apply for / RENEW HMO licence

Failed application, licence holder redress and queries

If you wish to appeal against a licence refusal or conditions applied or for any other queries, please contact the Enforcement Team in the first instance.

You may appeal to the Residential Property Tribunal

Any appeal must be made within 28 days of the decision being made.

For further information on HMO licensing please go to the Communities and Local Government website

HMO Licence register

The council must maintain a public register of all the premises licensed as an HMO, please visit the following page

If you have any enquiries about a property which has been licensed or which you feel should be licensed and is not, please contact us using the details on this page.

Last updated: 03 April 2020 16:43:55