HMO licence (New) - Application to license a house in multiple occupation

What is this for?

house in multiple occupation (HMO) is a property rented out by at least 3 people who are not from 1 ‘household’ (for example a family) but share facilities like the bathroom and kitchen. It’s sometimes called a ‘house share’.

You must have a licence if you’re renting out a large HMO in Doncaster. Your property is defined as a large HMO if all of the following apply:

  • it is rented to 5 or more people who form more than 1 household,
  • some or all tenants share toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities, and
  • at least 1 tenant pays rent (or their employer pays it for them)

Once a licence is granted:

  • A licence is valid for a maximum of 5 years.
  • Licences are not transferable 
  • You need a separate licence for each HMO you operate.  

If you want to rent out your property as a house in multiple occupation in Doncaster and you are unsure as to whether you need a licence, please contact us to check


What is it going to cost?

Before you apply...

There's a fee you'll need to pay for this submission.

You'll need a debit or credit card.

New Application

£890 (up to 5 bedrooms) + £61 per additional room 

The fee is payable in 2 parts. The Part 1 fee of £200 is payable on application with the Part 2 balance payable when the licence is granted. 

1st April 2024 - 31st March 2025 (Proposed)

£950 (up to 5 bedrooms) + £65 per additional room

Please note: If any outstanding balance is not paid within 1 month of the date of the decision to grant a licence, an additional late payment fee of £50 may be added. If the balance remains unpaid, your application will be deemed incomplete, and we will take steps to refuse your licence. At this point you will be considered to be failing to comply with the legal requirement to obtain a licence which could result in a penalty fine or prosecution and a fine.

Additional fee for late applications

An additional fee of £50 applies where resources have been deployed to tackle an unlicensed property and/or where applications are received over 3 months after the date the property was required to be licensed. 


What we need from you

You should apply for the licence yourself, but if you use a managing agent they can apply for you.

You'll need to provide copies of the following:

  • Scaled Plan
  • Gas Safety Test Certificate (If gas is provided in the premises)
  • Domestic Electrical Test Certificate
  • Fire Alarm Test Certificate
  • Emergency Lighting Test Certificate
  • Fire Safety Risk Assessment for the Premises
  • Planning Consent if more than 6 persons (Borough wide policy)
  • Planning Consent all HMOs in the Article 4 area

What if I don't have electronic copies?

Photos or scans of documents are acceptable, providing the relevant information is clear.

If you can't provide electronic versions you can still apply online, but you'll need to send in copies by post. We'll give you the address and reference number once you've completed the application.

What you should expect from us

Licences will be granted if:

  • the house is, or can be made, suitable for multiple occupation
  • the applicant is a 'fit and proper person' and the most appropriate person to hold the licence
  • the proposed manager has control of the house, and is a 'fit and proper person' to be the manager
  • the management arrangements are satisfactory

More information

You must make sure:

  • the house is suitable for the number of occupants (this depends on its size and facilities)
  • the manager of the house - you or an agent - is considered to be ‘fit and proper’, for example they have no criminal record or breach of landlord laws or code of practice

You must also:

  • send the council an updated gas safety certificate every year
  • install and maintain smoke alarms
  • provide safety certificates for all electrical appliances when requested and an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) at least every 5 years.

The council may add other conditions to your licence, for example improving the standard of your facilities. They will let you know when you apply.

If you disagree with any conditions the council sets, you can appeal to the First-Tier Tribunal.

Fines and penalties

You could get a criminal record and an unlimited fine, if prosecuted, for renting out an unlicensed HMO. Alternatively, you could receive a Civil Penalty up to £30,000. In addition, tenants may have the right to claim repayment of rent for a period for up to 1 year.

Do it Now
Last updated: 06 March 2024 09:57:44