Doncaster Council's Energy Team provides free advice to residents to help them save energy and reduce their bills. We want to encourage as many people as possible to improve energy efficiency and cut carbon emissions. We do this by providing energy saving advice to help people make better choices and grant funding to help make homes more comfortable, warmer and safer to live in.
Energy Saving Tips and Advice
If you, a family member, friend would like tips on how to keep your home warm, please take a look at the table below:
Find out if you can get a discount on your energy bill
Could you get money off your energy bills?
Get an annual boiler service
Heat your home
Try and keep warm
Keep out draughts
Spotting the Signs of a Cold Home
If you are concerned about yourself, a family member or a member of the public, here is some information about how to spots the signs of a cold home and what action you can take
|It feels cold inside - do you keep a coat on when you visit this house?|
|Damp patches on walls|
|Condensation – wetness on the windows or windowsills|
|Draughts – through windows, doors and floors|
|Blocked vents – to stop cold getting in|
|No (or not using) central heating|
|Safety issues – overloaded sockets, exposed wires, clothes and furnishings too close to fires/heaters|
|Heating just one room in the house|
|Struggling to keep warm - are there blankets or hot water bottles by the chair they sit in?|
|Poor eating habits – wrappers and empty cans and no evidence of proper hot meals|
Grants and Help Available
Boiler on Prescription Grant
Provides funding to install gas central heating for homeowners who experience ill health due to:
- Chronic Heart Condition,
- Complex Conditions
- who don't have the finances to replace/repair a faulty central heating system or install it for the first time. Each case must be assessed by the Council's Energy Team.
- Call us on 01302 737053 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Under this scheme both insulation and heating can be Partially funded, but first requires a free survey to establish what is required and to confirm eligibility.
This grant is available to those receiving one of the following benefit:
- Armed Forces Independence Payment
- Attendance Allowance
- Carer's Allowance
- Child Benefit
- Constant Attendance Allowance
- Disability Living Allowance
- Pension Guarantee Credit
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)
- Income Support
- Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
- Mobility Supplement
- Personal Independence Payment
- Severe Disablement Allowance
- Tax Credits (Child Tax Credits and Working Tax Credits)
- Universal Credit
This grant is available to those not on a means tested benefit.
As part of the current Energy Company Obligation (ECO), the Council is able to set a local criteria for homeowners and private rented tenants who would be classed as living in fuel poverty / on low income:
- Less than £1484 per month household income once the mortgage or rent has been paid
- Vulnerable to the effects of living in a cold home.
Local Authority Delivery Scheme (LAD)
Local authorities through the Local Authority Delivery (LAD) scheme, are able to improve the energy efficiency of homes of low-income households and improve energy performance of households. Measures include, external, internal, cavity wall and loft insulation and other measures. For more information, please contact the councils Energy Team Call us on 01302 737053 or email email@example.com
Warm Home Discount
You could get £140 off your electricity bill for winter 2021 to 2022 under the Warm Home Discount Scheme.
The money is not paid to you - it’s a one-off discount on your electricity bill, between October and March.
Winter fuel Payments
If you were born on or before 26 September 1955 you could get between £100 and £300 to help you pay your heating bills. This is known as a ‘Winter Fuel Payment’.
You will get your Winter Fuel Payment automatically (you do not need to claim) if your eligible and either:
- get the State Pension
- get another social security benefit (not Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Child Benefit or Universal Credit)
Cold Weather Payment
You may get a Cold Weather Payment if you’re getting certain benefits or support for Mortgage interest.
You’ll get a payment if the average temperature in your area is recorded as, or forecast to be, zero degrees Celsius or below over 7 consecutive days. You’ll get £25 for each 7 day period of very cold weather between 1 November and 31 March.
- Covid-19 Information Hub
- Heating and Housing Benefits
- Citizens Advice
- For more information on saving energy and money, contact our energy team using the following details:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 01302 737053
- Address: Doncaster Council, Civic Office, Waterdale, Doncaster, DN1 3BU