This Privacy Notice sets out what you need to know about how Doncaster Council will use your information for the purpose of managing the administration of elected and co–opted Members.
The Council is committed to meeting its data protection obligations and handling your information securely. You should make sure you read and understand this notice before submitting your information to us.
What information about you do we collect?
- Name and address
- Bank details
- Register of Interests
- Details of gifts and hospitality received
- Details of membership of a political party (if applicable)
- Photographs to be used to access the Civic Office and for identification purposes
- Details of surgeries held (dates, time and venue)
- Details of allowances and expenses paid to you as a Councillor
- Details of attendance at meetings of the Council or its committees
- Attendance at training events
- The recording and subsequent publication of your audio visual images following recording of meetings uploaded to the Council’s website
How do we collect information about you?
- Expense claim forms
- Declaration of interests form
- Declaration of gifts and hospitality received form
- Correspondence between you and the Council
- Evaluation forms following training events
How will your information be used?
The Legal Basis for using your information
|Personal Activity Data|| |
Legal Basis - GDPR Article 6
|S8 DPA||UK Legislation|
Completion of Acceptance of Office form.
Completion of Register of Interest Form.
Completion of the Register of Interest form.
Publication of Members Allowances and expenses.
(1)(e) to do so is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest, or in the exercise of official authority
(c) the exercise of a function conferred on a person by an enactment or rule of law,(e) an activity that supports or promotes democratic engagement.
Localism Act 2011
The Local Authorities (Members' Allowances) (England) Regulations 2003
Completion of Acceptance of Office form – if you do not complete this form within 2 months of being elected as a Councillor you will cease to be a Councillor.
Completion of Register of Interest Form – ensure that your register of interests is kept up to date and notify the Monitoring Officer in writing within 28 days of becoming aware of any change in respect of your Disclosable Pecuniary Interests. The register must be publicly available for inspection and published on the Council website. You may contact the Governance Services Team if you would like us not to use your home address and telephone number on the Council’s website.
Where you believe any information published on your Register of Information is “sensitive information” and the Monitoring Officer agrees you need not include that information when registering that interest. “Sensitive Information” means information whose availability for inspection by the public creates, or is likely to create, a serious risk that you or a person connected to you may be subjected to violence or intimidation. The law means that you have to give us the information we have asked for on the Register of Interest form. If you don’t give us this information then you will have breached the Code of Conduct and commit a criminal offence.
Publication of Members Allowances and expenses – we are required to publish all allowances and expenses paid to Members for the period 1st April to 31st March and publish this annually on our website.
Who will your information be shared with?
- Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council on the HR and Payroll management information system and for the purposes of processing pay
- Any external organisations you are appointed to by the Council
- The Department for Work and Pensions for certain benefits that the Councillors may receive.
The Council will never sell your information to anyone else.
How long will we keep your information?
|Activity||Time information kept for|
|Register of Interest Form||1 year following end of your term of election as a Councillor|
|Acceptance of Office Form||1 year following end of your term of election as a Councillor|
|Declaration of Interest raised at a meeting||1 year following end of your term of election as a Councillor|
|Gifts & Hospitality Forms||7 years (reviewed on an annual basis throughout the term of office as a Councillor)|
- to be informed of our use of information about you;
- of access to information about you;
- rectify information about you that is inaccurate;
- to have your information erased (the ‘right to be forgotten’);
- to restrict how we use information about you;
- to move your information to a new service provider;
- to object to how we use information about you;
- not to have decisions made about you on the basis of automated decision making;
- to object to direct marketing; and,
- to complain about anything the Council does with your information (please see the ‘Complaints’ section below).
Some of the rights listed above apply only in certain situations, and some have a limited effect. Your rights are explained further in the Individuals’ Rights Procedure on our website, as is how to make a request under one or more of them.
You can request information about yourself by making a subject access request more details are available on this page of the Council’s website.
Changes to this privacy notice
Data Protection Officer (DPO)
- monitoring the Council’s compliance with data protection law;
- providing expert advice and guidance on data protection;
- acting as the point of contact for data subjects; and,
- co-operating and consulting with the Information Commissioner’s Office (see ‘Complaints’ below).
- Website: www.ico.org.uk
- Telephone: 0303 123 1113
- Post: Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF