Hiring out horses (riding schools) – this includes a business of either riding or instruction in riding (this includes Donkey’s).

Do I need a licence?

All activities involving hiring out horses for riding, or instruction in riding, need to have a licence if they’re carried out as a commercial business.

Hiring out horses licensing: statutory guidance for local authorities - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

What do I need to apply?


  1. Complete application form
  2. Pay relevant fee

How do I apply?

Please send completed application forms to licensing@doncaster.gov.uk and a member of the licensing team will contact you with payment options

How much does it cost?

£650.00 (1-5 horses)

(1-3 Year Licence depending on star rating)

£888.00 (6+ horses)

(1-3 Year Licence depending on star rating)

*Before a licence is granted a listed veterinarian (appointed by the council) must inspect the premises on which the applicant will be charged separately for this service*

*In addition, once a licence is issued the vet must inspect on an annual basis, this will also be charged accordingly*


Other fee's and charges:

Minor Amendment of Licence: £54.00 hourly rate (minimum of 1 hour)

Major Amendment of Licence: £54.00 hourly rate (minimum of 2 hours)

Request for Re Rating: £54.00 hourly rate (minimum of 2 hours)

How long does the process take?

Following a successful inspection, we will aim to issue your licence within 28 days.

Apply now

Application for Hiring out Horses
Download (132KB - DOC) 

Additional Information

How long does the licence last?

The length on the licence will be determined by their risk rating. Licence length can be between 1-3 years depending on whether they are meeting higher standards of animal welfare.

Do I need planning permission?

You can check Licences here

Other links 


Last updated: 02 April 2024 11:35:22

Did you find this page helpful?