Do I need planning permission?

Certain pieces of minor work can be completed without the need for planning permission. This can include developments by homeowners on domestic properties or by businesses on land for commercial use.

These pieces of work are called Permitted Developments. More information about permitted development can be found on the planning portal.

Please note that owing to ongoing circumstances relating to Covid-19 there will be some disruption to the day to day running of the Planning Service, including the processing of planning and building regulation applications. Public safety and Dangerous Structures remains the priority of our Building Control Team and the normal reporting procedures in this regard should continue to be followed. We continue to work on our high volume of application submissions as quickly as possible but there may well be some delay and would appreciate your understanding as we work hard to process these. Thank you. 

Permitted Development Request

Doncaster Council provides a service that can assess the work you propose to be carried out, and will determine whether your building work is a permitted development. This will allow you to establish whether you need to apply for planning permission.

You can apply for this service online - there are different forms depending on whether your building work is on a home or commercial property.

Please note, all enquiries regardless of whether the outcome is classed as a permitted development or planning permission is required, will be made available on our website "View a Planning Application". 

Paper application forms

If you are unable to submit the form online please download and complete the Householder Enquiry form or the non domestic form for business premises (see downloads below) and return to There is a charge of £72.00 (including VAT) for this service. Payment can be taken by Debit Card over the phone by calling 01302 734854. 

Householder form (April 2022)
Download (264KB - PDF)
Non-domestic form (April 2022)
Download (169KB - PDF)

Alternatively the form can be posted with a cheque made payable to DMBC and returned to Doncaster Council, Civic Office, Waterdale, Doncaster, DN1 3BU

The information gathered will aid a planning officer in deciding whether or not a planning application is required for your proposal.

You may also need building regulation approval. The building control system exists to make sure that buildings are properly designed and constructed so as to ensure the health and safety, welfare and convenience of people using them. More information can be found by visiting About Building Control or by contacting 01302 734848. 

Larger home extension scheme (neighbourhood consultation scheme)

The scheme relates to planning and is a method of prior approval, if you wish to build a large extension you must notify the local authority, who will then consult the adjoining neighbours to advise them of your planned development. 

If your neighbours raise any concerns or objections, the local authority will decide if their objections reveal any impact on the amenity of the neighbouring properties and whether your plans can go ahead. 

This scheme only applies to larger single-storey rear extensions. This means that extensions of over four and up to eight metres for detached houses and over three and up to six metres for all other houses, must go through this process. 

Work carried out on trees

Any pruning or felling of a Tree covered by a Tree Preservation Order will require consent. Any works to Trees in a Conservation Area require six weeks notice in writing. For the planning application forms please refer to the

For further information/advice relating to Trees and Hedgerows contact:

  • 01302 736000.

Demolition of a building

Permission is not always needed to demolish a building. However, there are situations where permission is required, so you are advised to check with a Planning Officer before demolition is carried out.

Planning permission may also be required to re-build a demolished or partly demolished building and to demolish buildings and structures within a Conservation Area.  

Change of use

The use of a building or an area of land will fall into a category within the Town and Country Planning (Use Classes) Order 1987. Changing the use from one category to another may require planning permission. You should check with a Planning Officer before changing the use.

The uses classes cover such as Shops, Food and Drink, Financial and Professional Services, Business, General Industry, Storage and Distribution, Dwelling Houses, Residential Institutions, Hotels, Non-residential Institutions, Assembly and Leisure.

Some uses fall into a 'Special Category' called Sui Generis. This category includes any uses not falling into any of the above mentioned categories. Any use changing to a use within this category will require planning permission.

In general, if the proposed use is within the same 'use class' as the existing use, then planning permission is not required to change. However, uses within certain use classes are able to change to other use classes without requiring planning permission.

To find out more about the specific uses within the Use Classes Order visit:

Outdoor advertisements

Express consent is required for the majority of outdoor advertisements, including shop signs and poster boards. For example, all illuminated adverts require consent. There are, however, certain exceptions. You should contact the Planning Department to find out if you will require consent for your proposed adverts.

The links below give more detailed advice on the limitations for advertisements and a handy guide produced by the Communities and Local Government:

More Information

Privacy Notice 

The Council is committed to meeting its data protection obligations and handling your information securely. You should make sure you read and understand the Planning Services privacy notice, which sets out what you need to know about how Doncaster Council will use your information in the course of our work as a Local Planning Authority.



Last updated: 26 April 2022 08:26:08