Repatriation of a deceased body

This page explains what you need to do to have a body allowed back into, or taken out of, England and Wales.

Taking a body out of England and Wales

Some countries require a cadaver certificate before they will allow a body into the country for burial. The certificate, if issued, confirms that no epidemic of infectious disease occurred in the borough for some three months preceding the death.

Obtaining the cadaver certificate is usually handled by your undertaker. However, anyone can apply.

The certificate is issued by the Environmental Health officer for the council in whose area the person died, or is to be exhumed from before reburial elsewhere.

Repatriation of a deceased body from abroad to England or Wales

If a death occurs abroad, the death should be registered according to the local regulations of that country and a death certificate should be obtained.

To bring the body home you must:

  • get a certified English translation of the death certificate
  • get permission to remove the body, issued by a coroner (or equivalent) in the country where the person died
  • tell a coroner in England if the death was violent or unnatural

You can ask for advice from the British consulate, embassy or high commission in the country where the person died.

Once the body is home, bring the death certificate to the Register Office (if the burial or cremation is taking place in Doncaster).

As the death has already been registered abroad, the registrar will give you a ‘certificate of no liability to register’. Give this to the funeral director so the funeral can go ahead.

For further information, please contact us: 

  • tel: 01302 735222
Last updated: 17 November 2023 08:38:39

Did you find this page helpful?