Arranging your marriage or civil partnership ceremony, giving notice of your attention to marry/form civil partnership, and information on costs.
Decide on the type of ceremony you would like and the venue
Premium Register Office Service (Priory Place) postcode DN1 1AA
- Preliminaries are conducted with the couple separately, so the couple do not see each other before the ceremony
- Use of the enhanced ceremony room which has a central aisle for either one of the couple, or both to enter down together with the person giving them away
- Couple to select their own music for during the ceremony
- Premium ceremonies are held at Priory Place, Doncaster, DN1 1AA. The entrance for ceremonies will be through door 3 which is opposite the old Doncaster Post Office. For more information, please contact us
- Please be aware that animals are not allowed at Priory Place (service animals excluded)
- Only Bio-degradable confetti is allowed in the Great Kitchen courtyard
Standard Register Office Service (Civic Office, Waterdale) postcode DN1 3BU
- Preliminaries are conducted with the couple together and they enter the ceremony together
- Standard ceremonies are held at the Civic Office, Waterdale, Doncaster, DN1 3BU on Wednesdays only for the couple and 2 witnesses.
- We offer an upgrade to a standard 'plus' ceremony on a Tuesday afternoon in Priory Suite for up to 30 guests (15 during the pandemic, includes couple).
Approved premises in Doncaster
Ceremony in another district
- If you live in Doncaster but are having your ceremony held in another district by their Registrar (either being held in the Register Office or at an Approved Premise), you will still need to give your notice of intending to marry/form civil partnership in Doncaster.
- You will need to book the Registrars to perform and register your marriage at the Register Office in the district where your marriage is taking place.
- A religious ceremony can take place at a Church or Chapel of the Church of England or Church in Wales, or at any other place of worship that has been formally registered for marriages by the Registrar General.
- It is the decision of the religious order governing a church as to whether they participate in same sex marriages. Please consult the minister of the religious building for advice.
- If you wish to be married in any of the Church of England churches in Doncaster, you should first speak to the Vicar. If they are is able to marry you, they will arrange for the marriage announcement (banns) or a common licence to be issued. The marriage will be registered by the Vicar.
- If you wish to marry in any of the other places of religious worship in Doncaster, you should first arrange to see the person who deals with marriages at the place of worship.
- If the place of worship requires a Registrar to attend to register the marriage, please contact us to ensure a Registrar is available. The fee for this is £90 and includes one marriage certificate and is payable 6 weeks prior to the ceremony date.
- It is the responsibility of the person of worship to securely deposit the marriage schedule with the Register Office so that your marriage can be indexed - they are required to do this within 5 days.
- Please contact the Register Office no sooner than 1 week after your ceremony to request copies of your marriage certificate - these cost £11 each plus £2 recorded delivery.
Getting married abroad
- If you are having your ceremony abroad, different countries have different requirements on the legal documentation that you will need to produce. Please speak to your wedding planner to understand what is needed and then if required, contact us to arrange an appointment.
See a video and photo gallery of our premium service venue below:
For photos of beautiful Priory Place, visit our image gallery.
Arranging your marriage or civil partnership with Doncaster Register Office
Secure a date
- You can secure a date as soon as you have decided on a venue, this can be several years in advance, early booking is advisable.
- Please contact us to ensure our ceremony rooms and a Registrar are available on your preferred date for marriage/civil partnership.
- A non-refundable payment of £25.00 is required to provisionally book your chosen date with the Register Office
Notice of Intention to Marry/form Civil Partnership – the legal process
- Notice of your intention to marry/form a civil partnership must be given in person to your local Superintendent Registrar by both parties no later than 29 days before the ceremony is due to take place.
- You must have both lived in the Doncaster registration district for seven clear days immediately before giving notice.
- Please contact us to book this appointment, these appointments are held weekdays only and are very limited.
- The fee for Giving Notice (£35 each) is payable when you book your appointment.
- If you live outside the Doncaster district, please contact the Superintendent Registrar that is local to your place of residence.
- Notice can be given no earlier than 12 months prior to your ceremony date and no less than 29 full days before it and we need to know the venue that you are having your ceremony at.
- The authority for Marriage/Civil Partnership is valid for one year and is valid only for the venue that you advised at your appointment.
- If you are under the age of eighteen you will need the consent of your parents or guardian to marry/form a civil partnership and this consent must be brought to an appointment.
Notice of Intention to Marry/form Civil Partnership – the specified evidence required
- Proof of nationality for both parties
- A current valid full passport is preferred.
- If you do not hold a current valid full passport, and in consultation with the Superintendent Registrar, your EEA national identity card or your full UK birth certificate may be acceptable.
- Please note, if you were born after 1st January 1983 you will need your full birth certificate (showing parents’ names) and also your mother’s birth certificate to prove your nationality or you can provide your father’s birth certificate with a copy of your parents’ marriage certificate.
- Proof of being legally free to marry for both parties (if applicable)
- If previously married, the original Decree Absolute issued by the court (not a photocopy) or if widowed, your former partner’s death certificate (if you are not named on the certificate we will also need to see a copy of your marriage certificate).
- If your divorce took place overseas, this will need to be translated into English.
- A fee of either £50 or £75 will apply for the consideration of a foreign divorce.
- Proof of name change (if applicable)
- Any Change of Name documentation.
- Proof of residency in Doncaster for both parties. This should be any of the following:-
- A valid UK driving license for each party or,
- a bank statement for each party (dated within 1 month) or,
- a utility bill for each party or one in joint names (dated within 3 months) or,
- a Council Tax bill in joint names (dated within 1 year)
- If you do not have any of these documents, please contact us before your appointment to discuss what other documents will be acceptable.
If you or your partner are from outside the UK or Ireland
To arrange your Notice of Marriage appointment, please call us on 01302 735222. We will take all of your details for both parties and the £35 each fee for Notice of Marriage. We will then confirm by email within 10 working days an appointment date and the specific information that you both will need to provide. Please be aware that we have a statutory duty to report any marriage we suspect has been arranged for the sole purpose of evading legal immigration controls.
Differences between marriages and civil partnerships
The differences between marriages and civil partnerships for same sex and opposite sex couples are outlined on the government website.
Costs are subject to review every April - fees are from April 2022 to March 2023
Register Office ceremonies:
Price includes one marriage certificate
Standard Ceremony at the Civic Office (2 guests) **only available on Wednesday**
Standard Plus Ceremonies at Priory Suite (up to 30 guests )
**only available on Tuesday afternoon**
Premium Ceremonies at Priory Place - prices depend on the room chosen and ceremony day
Great Kitchen - Thurs (40 guests)
Great Kitchen - Friday and Saturday (40 guests)
Priory Suite - Thurs (50 guests)
Priory Suite - Friday and Saturday (50 guests)
£280 (£370 Saturday pm)
£220 (£320 Saturday pm)
Registrars attendance at an approved premise:
|Price includes one marriage certificate|
Monday to Thursday
Sunday and Bank Holidays
|Registrars attendance at religious venue:||Price include one marriage certificate|
|Monday to Saturday||£97.00|
Please note: Fees for Register Office ceremonies are required to be paid at least 1 full calendar month prior to the ceremony, ideally at the time of giving notice
For further information, please contact us:
- email: email@example.com
- tel: 01302 735222
- address: Births, Deaths & Marriages Registration, The Register Office, Civic Office, Waterdale, Doncaster, DN1 3BU