Re-registering usually takes place because:
- the parents married after the child’s birth
- the child was originally registered without father’s details, and both parents have since decided they would like them included
Both mother and father usually need to be present to re-register the birth if the father’s details are being added. Either parent can attend to re-register the child if are doing so because they married after the child was born.
When you are wanting to re-register your child, you will need to:
- complete and sign a re-registration form (available from https://www.gov.uk/browse/births-deaths-marriages or can be posted to you from the Register Office) and send this to us at Doncaster Register Office, Civic Office, Waterdale DN1 3BU and include
- a copy of your child’s birth certificate
- a copy of your marriage certificate (if applicable)
Whwen we receive your form, we will contact you to arrange an appointment to attend to complete the re-registration. If you no longer live in Doncaster, contact your local register office and ask about re-registration by declaration.
A full copy certificate following re-registration costs £11.
You can change a child's first name providing a new name was given in baptism or by regular use but this has to be within 12 months of the birth being registered. This costs £40 plus £11 for the new birth certificate.
- if your child was baptised in a Christian church, the vicar needs to complete the relevant form
- if not, you need to complete this form (which can be obtained from the Register Office)
A full copy certificate following changes to first name or adding a middle name will show the original name and the new name in Space 17 of the certificate.
If you spot a mistake in the original birth registration the person/s who attended to register the birth will need to apply for a correction - it is imperative that all details are thoroughly checked at the point of registration. Correction of any mistake will incur a charge of £90 and will take up to 12 weeks to be arranged.
A correction application form will need to be completed and supported with documentary evidence where applicable. These will need to brought to the Register Office, the fee of £90 will be taken and this will then be submitted to the General Register Office for consideration. Replacement certificates if the correction is approved will cost £11 each.
For further information, please contact us:
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- tel: 01302 735222
- address: The Register Office, Civic Office, Waterdale, Doncaster, DN1 3BU