Headstones, kerb sets and other memorials/memorabilia
You have the right to place a memorial on your grave or plot. However, this must comply with cemetery regulations (See link on right). Alternatively you can leave the grave unmarked. You have a responsibility to maintain the memorial upon the grave during the period of grave rights granted to you. The memorial cannot be disturbed or moved during this period, without your permission, unless it poses a safety hazard. If a safety hazard is identified and remains uncorrected, we may take action.
We appreciate that this is a sensitive and emotional time for you. As well as considering your individual feelings, we also must be sensitive to the wishes of all our visitors and keep the cemetery grounds safe and appropriate places for everyone. Our aim is to create a tranquil, respectful place where people can visit and feel comforted by the surroundings and where they can experience a period of personal reflection and private contemplation.
With this in mind, we respectfully ask that memorabilia is placed within the confines of the headstone base or within a properly installed kerb surround
Please be aware that:
- items on metal stakes, sticks or hooks need to be placed in the flower container provided, and must not exceed 12 inches in height
- no items made of glass or ceramic are permitted
- home-made kerbs are permitted, but they must be level with the ground (not raised up), and must be no larger than 8ft x 3ft for an adult grave or 5ft x 3ft for a child's grave
- No kerbs of any kind are permitted within cremated remains plots.
- No memorials are allowed in the shared ashes scattering areas at Rose Hill.
We may remove any items found in breech of the regulations.
All headstones need to have a ground anchor and must be fitted by an approved stonemason as is also the case for stone kerb sets. In both cases a permit must be obtained before installation is carried out and your stonemason will apply on your behalf for this.
For further information, please contact us:
- email: email@example.com
- tel: 01302 736900
- Cemetery Regulations
- Download (151KB - DOCX)