What you need to visit a Household Waste Recycling Centre

You may need to have a pass (formerly known as permits) to visit a household waste recycling centre (tip) in Doncaster or Barnsley. To apply for a pass you need to register online for a recycling centre account.

Changes to access to HWRC sites:

Household Waste Recycling Centre's Vehicle Pictogram

Doncaster and Barnsley Councils have recently awarded a new contract for the management of the HWRCs to HW Martin Waste Ltd. This has resulted in the introduction of several changes to better manage the sites and help achieve higher levels of recycling and re-use, whilst providing residents with improved facilities and service.

The Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) system, recently installed on all HWRCs means it is possible to replace the paper ‘Vehicle Permit’ with a new digital solution in the form of an automated Pass/Permit scheme. There will be no need to display a permit, meaning that site staff will not be required to check it and will have more time to help site users.

The new Household Waste Recycling Centre Digital Service and Online Portal will provide residents with convenient 24/7 access to the system where you can apply for a pass, where required, make a site booking and manage your details should you move or change vehicle.

The changes made mean that some vehicles will no longer require a permit and that you will no longer need to nominate one specific site.

Creating a Household Waste Recycling Centre Account

To register for an online account you'll need to tell us your full name, address and email address. You'll also need to create a password. Your account will be valid for up to three years.

When registered you'll be able to:

  • Apply for a resident, vehicle or pedestrian pass (booking required for pedestrian pass users).
  • Apply for a commercial permit.
  • Make a booking to visit a recycling centre, to deposit hazardous waste such as asbestos or to book a visit in a hired or borrowed vehicle.


Vehicle Pass

A vehicle pass allows you to visit the recycling centre to deposit your own household waste using a:

  • Medium/large van (typically a panel van)
  • Medium/large sign-written van (typically a panel van)
  • Car towing a trailer (single axle with no high sides) 

If you are not using any of the above to access a site, you do not need a Vehicle Pass. Please note that vehicles over 3500kg, flatbeds/flatbed tippers, box vans and hire vans, cannot be issued with a Vehicle Pass.

Medium/large vans include:

Citroen Dispatch and Relay     Fiat Ducato, Scudo and Talento Ford Transit and Custom                 
Iveco Daily LDV Convoy, Maxus, Pilot, eDeliver    Mercedes Vito and Sprinter
Nissan NV350, NV400, Interstar and Primaster   Peugeot Boxer and Expert                       Renault Master and Trafic                 
Toyota Hiace and Proace Vauxhall Movano and Vivaro VW Crafter and Transporter

A vehicle pass allows you access to the recycling centres up to 12 times per year from the date you apply. We'll send you a reminder one month before it expires to let you know your pass is due to end and that you can renew it for 12 visits for the next year. These start on the anniversary of when you first applied for the pass.

Please note - If you have a Vehicle Pass for a car and trailer, only visits with the trailer will be knocked off the 12 allowed visits.

When applying you need to upload proof of vehicle ownership, such as the log book (V5C). If you don’t have the log book as the vehicle is leased,owned by your employer, or you are self-employed and the vehicle is registered to your company, you need to upload documents such as:

  • Your lease or Motability scheme agreement.
  • If applicable, a letter from your employer giving you permission to use the vehicle and stating the waste isn't from the business. The letter must include your name, address and the vehicle registration number.
  • If applicable, a letter from your business stating that the waste isn't from the business. The letter must include your name, address and the vehicle registration number.

If your address or vehicle details change in future, you need to update your account or re-apply for a pass.

Please note:

  • a Vehicle Pass only provides permission to enter a site and IS NOT a licence to deposit waste
  • a Vehicle Pass does not guarantee the acceptance/disposal of any types or quantity of waste at the HWRC 
  • site usage by all vehicles is monitored by Automatic Number Plate Recognition Cameras (ANPR)
  • For the full list of terms and conditions see the download below:
HWRC Terms and Conditions
Download (68KB - PDF)
Zero Tolerance Policy
Download (170KB - PDF)

Pedestrian Pass

To bring your own household waste to the recycling centre as a pedestrian or using other means of transport (eg bus, bicycle or mobility scooter), you need a pedestrian pass. You also need to pre-book each visit through your online account.

You must be resident in our area to apply for a pedestrian pass. If your address changes, you need to update your online account. The pass doesn't allow you to park nearby and walk your waste onto site.

Please note:

  • a Pedestrian Pass only provides permission to enter a HWRC and IS NOT a licence to deposit waste.
  • a Pedestrian Pass does not guarantee the acceptance/disposal of any types or quantity of waste at the HWRC 
  • a Pedestrian Pass is not designed to allow the holder to park outside site and walk waste to the gate
  • booking an appointment online prior to visiting site is essential - this is so site staff can meet you at the gate to ensure your safety whilst on site
  • any pedestrian trying to access site who has not pre-booked will be turned away

When you need to book a visit:

"One-off" tip booking

"One-off" tips are designed for residents if they have household waste and:

  • have changed vehicles and awaiting your V5C document,
  • have a courtesy car due to your normal vehicle being off the road,
  • borrowing a vehicle from a friend or family member who lives outside Doncaster and Barnsley,
  • bringing in a waste on behalf of a neighbour or other family members as a favour,
  • if you have experienced a bereavement and must clear the deceased's property,
  • live outside the Council areas and are helping a family member from within the Council areas to dispose of household waste or carrying out a bereavement clearance from a property within the Council areas.
  • if you have a vehicle which is not allowed a Vehicle Pass e.g. flatbed/flatbed tipper, box van or a hire van

You do not need to make a 'one-off' tip booking if you are only planning to use your normal car.

To pre-book a 'one-off tip' you will need to create a Customer Account and make the booking through your account. One-off tips can be booked 2 hours before the time you want to visit site.

PLEASE NOTE a "one-off" tip is just one visit. Only four pre-booked visits will be allowed in any rolling 12-month period from any domestic property within the borough. If you own the vehicle which is eligible for a Vehicle Pass , you are advised to apply for one.

Commercial permit

Pay to drop (coming soon)

A commercial permit allows you to dispose of your business, landlord or property development waste at the following recycling centres:

  • Armthorpe, Carcroft and Rossington (Doncaster)
  • Goldthorpe and Worsbrough (Barnsley)

The permit allows an unlimited number of visits to a recycling centre when using the registered vehicle. This vehicle can have a maximum gross revenue weight of 3500kg.

You must also:

  • Have a valid waste carrier licence or waste carrier exemption (if applicable).
  • Only deposit accepted commercial waste at the specified recycling centres.
  • Pay the appropriate charge for the volume and type of material at the time of disposal. This can be paid by debit or credit card only.


Privacy notice 

The council is committed to meeting its data protection obligations and handling your information securely. You should make sure you read and understand the Waste and Recycling - privacy notice which sets out what you need to know about how Doncaster Council will use your information in the course of our work as a Waste Collection Authority

Last updated: 20 May 2024 14:02:30

Did you find this page helpful?