Frequently asked questions about Household Waste Recycling Centre Passes

For certain vehicle types and service requirements you may need to have a pass to to use the household waste recycling centres in Doncaster and Barnsley. Find out how to apply for a pass or make a booking. Below are the answers to some frequently asked questions about visiting the recycling centres in Doncaster and Barnsley

Passes and Bookings

What do I need to do to visit the recycling centre?

Depending on how you intend to use the recycling centre, you may need to apply for either a:
  • Resident Pass – required prior to applying for a Vehicle Pass should you wish to access a site in Barnsley.
  • Vehicle Pass – for medium to large vans or a car towing a trailer.
  • Pedestrian Pass – required to make a booking if you are walking, using a bus, bicycle, or mobility scooter to travel to site.
  • Booking – for one-off visits in exceptional circumstances, to visit site with a Pedestrian Pass or to dispose of asbestos.
Find out more about applying for a pass

Why do I need to create an online account?

Creating an online account will enable you to register for a pass or book an appointment to visit HWRCs in Doncaster and Barnsley. You will also be able to use your online account to make any changes e.g. you change address or vehicle or you need to cancel a booking, etc.

What do I need to create an online account?

To register for an online account you will need to provide:
  • Full name
  • Email address
  • Home address
Your online account will be valid for up to 3 years.


Do I need to pay to register?

No, this is a free of charge service for all Doncaster and Barnsley residents. Upon validation, your account will be valid for up to 3 years.

Will I still need to display a pass to access the recycling centre?

No, the Councils have utilised digital technology, making it easier and more convenient for residents when using the councils recycling centres.

What if I need to deposit waste whilst I'm waiting on pass approval?

To deposit waste whilst you're waiting for your permit to be approved, you can make a one-off booking to visit a recycling centre. 

Can I still access site in a van that I have hired for the day, borrowed from a friend or that does not meet the criteria for a Vehicle Pass?

Yes. You will need to create a Customer Account which will enable you to pre-book a one-off tip. The Councils will allow up to 4 pre-booked one-off tips in any rolling 12-month period. If the one-off tip is not used, it is not transferable to another date.

Can multiple vehicles and passes be registered to the same address?

Yes. If you or members of your household want to use more than one vehicle to visit, you can register each vehicle for the appropriate pass

Why do I need to book?

You will need to book an appointment to visit a HWRC if:
  • You have hired or borrowed a van to transport your waste.
  • You are disposing of Hazardous material. E.g., asbestos.
  • Site staff must be aware of such materials arriving on site, ensuring that there is suitable capacity available to accept it and to check that it is appropriately packaged so that it can be securely contained as soon as possible.
  • You are visiting site under your Pedestrian Pass.
  • Site staff must know when you are arriving so that they can meet you at the entrance. For H&S reasons it is essential pedestrians and vehicles do not enter site together.
  • You have changed vehicles and awaiting your logbook (V5C).
  • You have a courtesy car due to your vehicle being off the road.
  • You are borrowing a vehicle from a friend or family member who lives outside Doncaster and Barnsley.
  • You are bringing in waste on behalf of a neighbour or other family member as a favour.
  • You have experienced a bereavement and must clear the property of the deceased.
  • You live outside the Councils area and are helping a family member from within the Councils area dispose of household waste.

What is a 'one off' booking?

You need to make a one-off booking to visit a recycling centre if:
  • You've changed vehicle and waiting to receive your new log book (V5C).
  • You're bringing household waste from a neighbour or family member who lives in Barnsley or Doncaster.
  • You've hired a van (must be under 3500kg gross vehicle weight).
  • The vehicle you're visiting in isn't yours (must be under 3500kg gross vehicle weight).
  • You're experiencing a bereavement.

One-off tips can be booked 2 hours before the time you want to visit site

Make a one-off booking to visit a recycling centre.

How do I cancel a booking?

Log into your Customer Account and select “my bookings and permits” at top right of screen, select “cancel” button.

How often do I need to reapply or renew my pass?

Your online account is valid for up to three years. If you have a vehicle pass, this is valid for 12 visits within 12 months of the date you apply. After 12 months you'll need to re-apply for another vehicle pass to gain another 12 visits.

What if I don't live in the council's area but need to visit a recycling centre and can't apply for a pass?

We know that there may be some times where it's not possible to apply for a pass/permit to access a recycling centre. You can still register online for a customer account and make a one-off booking. You need to do this so suitable arrangements can be made.

What will you do with my data?

Your account will be valid for three years and your information will be deleted after. You can also choose to close your account at any time. Once your application for a pass or permit has been reviewed, your uploaded documents will be deleted immediately. Your data will be processed and held in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulations.

How do I close my account?

Log into your account and select the ‘close your account’ option.


What if i don't own my own vehicle?

If you don't have your own vehicle, you can visit the recycling centre in another vehicle by making a one-off booking. You can also visit the recycling centre as a pedestrian, or if you use another means of transport (eg bus or bicycle). You'll need to have a pedestrian pass and have made a pedestrian booking to do this.

Can I get a pass if I'm not the registered keeper of the vehicle?

Yes. If you don't have the log book (V5C) as the vehicle is on a long-term lease hire (PCP), a Motability scheme, or owned by your employer, you'll need to provide other documents. You can provide either a:
  • Copy of your lease agreement (PCP and Motability scheme vehicles).
  • Letter from your employer giving you permission to use the vehicle and stating the waste deposited isn't from the business.
  • This letter must include your name, address, vehicle make, model and registration number.

Can I still get a Vehicle Pass for a vehicle, sign written or not, provided by my employer?

Yes. You will need to create a Customer Account and supply:
  • A letter from your employer giving you permission to use the vehicle for personal use to dispose of your household waste. This letter must give details of your name, address, vehicle make, model and registration number.
  • Confirm that you have permission to use the vehicle and that any waste deposited is not associated with the business activity.
  • Proof of where your employer disposes of their business waste e.g. recent copy of a Waste Transfer Note/Duty of Care

What do I need to do when I change my vehicle?

You need to update the vehicle on your pass through your online account. Log in and select the pass your previous vehicle was registered to. You'll then be able to upload your new log book (V5C) to confirm the change.

I am self-employed and my vehicle is registered to my business. Can I still get a Vehicle Pass?

Yes. You'll need to create a customer account to apply for a pass or permit and provide:
  • A copy of the vehicle log book (V5C).
  • Proof of where you dispose of your business waste.
  • A letter declaring that no waste from your business will be disposed of at the recycling centre.
  • A copy of either your current Council Tax bill or a utility bill.

Can I access the recycling centre in a van that I've hired for the day, or one that doesn't meet the criteria for a vehicle permit?

Yes - you can make a one-off booking for a suitable vehicle with a maximum vehicle weight of 3500kg. You need to make the booking a minimum of the day before you want to visit, or earlier. If an approved one-off tip isn't used, it's not transferable to another date or recycling centre without our approval. Make a one-off booking to visit a recycling centre.

How do I work out the gross vehicle weight of my vehicle?

The gross vehicle weight (GVW), also known as gross revenue weight (GRW) is the overall weight limit of the vehicle. This can be found on your log book (V5C). We can only permit vehicles with a maximum weight of 3500kg.

Visiting a recycling centre

Why is there a restriction on the number of times I can access site with a Vehicle Pass

Through ongoing monitoring of site usage and consulting with residents the council’s established that 12 visits per year is more than adequate for the vast majority of residents. A vehicle pass is required for a medium/large van, or cars towing trailers. These have increased carrying capacity, occupy more space and longer to unload, meaning fewer vehicles are able to access site impacting negatively on the customer experience. If you have a Vehicle Pass for a car towing a trailer, only visits where the trailer is used will be deducted from the allocated 12 visits.

Why can I not carry waste in my vehicle as well as in my trailer?

This is to make sure the recycling centres operate effectively and have a consistent flow of traffic, preventing queuing. Vehicles with trailers take up more space than a single car. If both the vehicle and trailer were to contain waste, a visit would take much longer. This would inconvenience other users, cause an obstruction and impact the flow of traffic. For health and safety reasons trailers must remain hitched to the vehicle.

Why do the sites have Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) camera?

The new Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) system has allowed the Councils to introduce new digital technology in the form of an automated Pass/Permit scheme making it a more convenient and customer focused service. The ANPR system will hold vehicle registration details for all Customer Account holders, allowing easy access to any HWRC in Doncaster or Barnsley, there will be no need to carry identification or display a physical permit, meaning the site staff will not be required to check it and be available to provide assistance.

Why should I pre-sort my waste before visiting site?

Pre-sorting your waste will make your visit quicker and easier. It will also help the Councils achieve higher levels of recycling, as it is less likely items suitable for recycling or reuse are disposed of in the ‘unsuitable for recycling', general waste skip.

Why are staff asking me to open my bags of waste?

It is the aim of the Councils to maximise reuse and recycle as much as possible from waste brought onto site. Your bags of waste may contain items that can be recycled, which is why staff may ask you to open your bags and sort your waste Only waste that is not able to be recycled on site should be placed in the ‘unsuitable for recycling', general waste skip.

Why do staff ask if an item I want to dispose of still works?

The Councils encourage residents to consider whether items in good condition and working can be reused. These items can be donated for reuse, repair, or refurbishment. Reusing is a great way to reduce waste, protect the environment and often save money. Income raised through the resale of items may help support local charities.

Why do some sites close during the day when they should be open?

For Health & Safety reasons some operational requirements, including container movement and compaction of skips, may require the temporary restriction of access to allow such operations to be performed safely. Staff will communicate the reasons for any such closures.

Why can staff refuse admission if I arrive close to closing time?

Residents must ensure that adequate time is available before the site closes to deposit their waste. Please leave adequate time (15 minutes) to unload before the sites advertised closing time. HWRCs are only permitted to accept waste between the times advertised on the main site information board at or near the site entrance.

Commercial Waste 

Pay to drop (available from 1 June 2024)

Why do some recycling centres allow commercial waste?

We know that small businesses and tradespeople may not have the resources or the volume of waste to justify a commercial collection service. Therefore, we offer a 'pay-as-you-drop' service for businesses operating both in and out of the Doncaster and Barnsley area for specific materials at designated sites.

How do I apply for a commercial waste permit?

You need to create a customer account for your business and provide:
  • Your waste carrier licence number.
  • A copy of the log book (V5C) for the vehicle being used.

Why do i need a waste carrier licence from the Environment Agency to apply for a commercial waste permit?

If you're transporting waste of any kind, it's a legal requirement that you have a valid waste carrier licence. Please check with the Environment Agency whether you need to hold an upper tier or lower tier licence. 

How long does a commercial permit last for?

The permit lasts for three years. However, if your waste carrier licence expires during this period, you'll be denied the use of the commercial waste facilities until you make a new application with a current waste carrier licence.

Why do I have to pay to dispose of commercial waste?

Any business has a legal responsibility to make sure any waste it generates is disposed of safely, without harm to health or polluting the environment. Unlike Council Tax, commercial rates collected by councils doesn't include a waste disposal element.

Will I receive a document to say I've disposed of my commercial waste correctly?

Yes, we'll give you with a Waste Transfer Note/Duty of Care - a document required in the UK to prove that you're disposing of your waste legally. It'll contain a description of: The waste deposited. How it was contained or packaged. The amount of waste deposited. The business details. The company name and site address of where it was deposited.
Last updated: 09 May 2024 16:10:10

Did you find this page helpful?