What it is asbestos, asbestos disposal and booking appointments can all be found on this page.
Asbestos is a natural material made up of tiny fibres. These fibres are usually safely fixed in another material like cement or insulation board, but can be released into the air by cutting, breaking, drilling or sanding.
Please remember that any work on asbestos, dismantling and transporting may generate airborne asbestos fibres.
To minimise risk to your family’s health we strongly recommend that you contact a suitably qualified, licensed asbestos removal contractor for advice.
For advice relating to anything other than a garage roof and wall sheets, guttering or fall pipes you should contact a UKAS accredited asbestos laboratory for sampling and testing advice or contact a commercial operator. There will be a charge for these services.
Further advice can be obtained from the Health and Safety Executive and in the links at the bottom of this page.
Doncaster Council provides free disposal of cement bonded asbestos and other solid items which are known to contain asbestos, eg Marley floor tiles, old toilet cisterns. We will only accept asbestos generated as a result of DIY work undertaken by you at your own home. Restrictions apply.
Asbestos is accepted at Armthorpe Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC) only by pre-booked appointments made with the council.
Armthorpe HWRC is for Doncaster residents ONLY, not businesses, trade or commercial operators. Any asbestos produced from works carried out by a trades person will not be accepted. It is the legal responsibility of the trader to dispose of any waste they have generated as part of their activity.
To use this service, you must:
- be a Doncaster resident
- have dismantled and removed the item containing asbestos yourself from your own property.
- deliver asbestos in a vehicle which meets the site acceptance criteria
Breathing asbestos dust is dangerous. Any work on cement bonded asbestos may generate asbestos dust. To minimise risk to your family’s health we strongly recommend that you contact a suitably qualified and licensed asbestos removal contractor.
Should you wish to dismantle and dispose of asbestos yourself, we advise that the following precautions are taken to minimise the risk:
- avoid creating dust from cement bonded asbestos.
- never sand down or wire-brush cement bonded asbestos.
- do not use power tools on cement bonded asbestos.
- avoid breaking cement bonded asbestos.
- when working with cement bonded asbestos it is advisable to wear disposable overalls,gloves and a face mask. Check that they are suitable for use with asbestos. You can get advice from safety equipment centres. After use, these should be disposed of as asbestos waste.
- when removing cement bonded asbestos thoroughly wet it first, particularly around any fixings
- add detergent to the water as this will cause the asbestos to soak up the water more easily
- use an ordinary hosepipe or watering can for this, not a high-powered water jet
- if fixings are difficult to undo, try to cut them off rather than break the asbestos
Only asbestos loads that are pre-booked will be accepted and must meet the criteria below:
- a maximum of eight bags, packages or a combination of both to the total of eight, per property
- whole sheets must be no bigger than 6ft x 4ft in order to fit into the container
- whole asbestos items must be double wrapped in 1000 grade builders polythene, securely taped and sealed
- broken or smaller asbestos items must be double wrapped or bagged in 1000 grade builders polythene, securely taped and sealed
- incorrectly wrapped items will not be accepted
Booking an appointment
Residents wanting to dispose of asbestos are required to pre-book a visit by 2pm on Friday for the Saturday visit.
Restrictions due to Covid19 social distancing measures have reduced the availability of this service significantly.
|Monday||not available||not available|
|Tuesday||not available||not available|
|Wednesday||not available||not available|
|Thursday||not available||not available|
|Friday||not available||not available|
|Sunday||not available||not available|
Please note - Please try to arrive between 8.30am and 8.45am so that all asbestos disposals can be completed as early as possible. If you arrive after 9.30am you may not be allowed to dispose of your asbestos, this will be at the discretion of site staff.
The council is committed to meeting its data protection obligations and handling your information securely. You should make sure you read and understand the Waste and Recycling - privacy notice which sets out what you need to know about how Doncaster Council will use your information in the course of our work as a Waste Collection Authority.
The information we will require when booking an appointment:
- phone number
- vehicle make, model and registration number
- the number of bags and/or packages of asbestos to be disposed of up to the maximum of eight.
For more information and to book an appointment, please
- call 01302 736000
- it is not currently possible to request this service online
Booking an appointment does not guarantee that there will be capacity available on the day.
- the Waste & Recycling Team will contact you no later than 2pm the day before your requested appointment date to authorise the appointment
- the Waste & Recycling Team will also endeavour to contact you should there be capacity issues and re-arrange the appointment
Please note: unless you have been contacted by the Waste & Recycling Team you have not been granted permission to dispose of your asbestos so please do not attend site.
Disposing of asbestos
You will be responsible for removing the material from your vehicle and placing it in to the asbestos skip on site, to avoid bags and/or packages breaking, material must be placed in the skip carefully and not thrown in.
Material too big for the container or incorrectly wrapped cannot be accepted and advice will be given by site staff:
- too big for the container - either use a correctly licensed private waste disposal company or take to a correctly licensed disposal facility
- incorrectly wrapped - wrap correctly and book another appointment with the council
More information and useful links
Authorised businesses should be used to collect, recycle or dispose of hazardous waste (asbestos). You should check the Environment Agency to check that waste carriers are registered and waste sites have environmental permits.
We are not responsible for the content of external sites