Hexthorpe Selective Licensing of other residential accommodation - Licence application

What is this for?

Please use the DO IT NOW button below to apply for a licence for a house located in the area of Hexthorpe designated for Selective Licensing under Part 3 of the Housing Act 2004.

For full details of the selective licensing scheme and the designated area please visit our selective licensing web pages

  • In most cases granted licences will be valid up to 28th February 2027
  • Licences are not transferable 
  • You need a separate licence for each house you operate. 

If you want to rent out a house located in an area designated for selective licensing and you are unsure as to whether you need a licence, please contact us to check selective.licensing@doncaster.gov.uk

What is it going to cost?

Before you apply...

There's a fee you'll need to pay for this submission.

You'll need a debit or credit card.

The fee is made up of 2 parts.

Part 1 - £200 Application fee  (the cost of processing the licence application); and 

Part 2 - £400 (pro-rata) Grant fee (the compliance monitoring/enforcement costs of the licence) Part 2 of the licence fee only becomes due if we determine that it is appropriate to grant the licence. 

Please Note: If any outstanding balance is not paid within 1 month of the date of the decision to grant a licence, an additional late payment fee of £50 may be added. If the balance remains unpaid, your application will be deemed incomplete, and we will take steps to refuse your licence. At this point you will be considered to be failing to comply with the legal requirement to obtain a licence which could result in a penalty fine or prosecution and a fine.

All licences will be issued on a pro-rata basis (full years only), dependent on the application date and the date when the house becomes licensable. If a landlord required a licence after the start date of the scheme, the cost for the Part 2 Fee will be reduced annually on a sliding scale. Part 1 of the fee will remain the same whenever the application is made as this is a fixed fee to reflect the cost of processing the application.

Application in year 1 fee - £200 + £400 = £600 total

Application in year 2 fee - £200 + £320 = £520 total

Application in year 3 fee - £200 + £240 = £440 total

Application in year 4 fee - £200 + £160 = £360 total

Application in year 5 fee - £200 + £80 = £280 total

Additional fee for late applications

An additional fee of £50 applies where resources have been deployed to tackle an unlicensed property and/or where applications are received over 3 months after the date the property was required to be licensed. 

What we need from you

You should apply for the licence yourself, but if you use a managing agent they can apply for you.

Please complete the application form by selecting the DO IT NOW button below.


What you should expect from us

Licences will be granted if:

  • the applicant is a 'fit and proper person' and the most appropriate person to hold the licence
  • the proposed manager has control of the house, and is a 'fit and proper person' to be the manager
  • the management arrangements are satisfactory

More information

You must make sure:

  • the manager of the house - you or an agent - is considered to be ‘fit and proper’, for example they have no criminal record or breach of landlord laws or code of practice

You must also:

  • send the council an updated gas safety certificate every year
  • install and maintain smoke alarms on each level of the house and a carbon monoxide detector in the vicinity of every gas appliance (except cookers)
  • provide safety certificates for all electrical appliances and installations when requested
  • obtain references for all new tenants before the start of the tenancy 
  • ensure tenants have a tenancy agreement, a waste management agreement and an anti-social behaviour agreement
  • submit an annual declaration of compliance 

The council may add other conditions to your licence, for example improving the management standards. They will let you know when you apply.

If you disagree with any conditions the council sets, you can appeal to the First-Tier Tribunal.

Fines and penalties

You could get an unlimited fine for renting out an unlicensed house in a designated area.

Do it Now
Last updated: 19 July 2023 12:22:03