As technology and the internet are becoming more and more accessible it is paramount to children’s safeguarding to be in the know of what they are accessing, the risks involved and how we can encourage them to make safe decisions when online.
Every school must encourage good behaviour and prevent all forms of bullying amongst pupils.
Am I being bullied?
This safeguarding and online protection information is for professionals and contains legal and general guidance on all aspects of bullying.
How can we address homophobic bullying in schools
HBT bullying is often present in an environment that fails to challenge and respond to HBT phobias. Like other forms of bullying, HBT bullying can be physical, verbal or indirect and the motivation of the bullies is specific.
What is Sexual Bullying?
Cyber bullying is any form of bullying which takes place online or through smartphones and tablets. Social networking sites, messaging apps, gaming sites and chat rooms such as Facebook, Xbox Live, Instagram, YouTube, Snapchat and other chat rooms can be great fun and a positive experience. Cyber-bullying can be 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, the internet doesn’t have an on off button.
In the year ending March 2020, an estimated one out of five young people in England and Wales experienced at least one type of online bullying behaviour (19%). This equates to approximately 764,000 children. Online bullying has been increasingly enabled by wider access to the internet and greater use of smartphones, social media and networking applications. By comparison, twice as many children (38%) reported that they had experienced a bullying behaviour in person. A smaller percentage experienced a bullying behaviour by a telephone or mobile phone call (4%). As some children experienced multiple types of bullying behaviour, overall 42% of children aged 10 to 15 years experienced some form of bullying behaviour in the year ending March 2020.
Discovering that your child is being bullied at school is undoubtedly distressing and as a parent you are right to want the bullying stopped. In this section we offer you guidance on how best to approach this issue with the school.