Disabled Person's Bus and Train Pass

What a Disabled Person's Bus and Train Pass is, whether you qualify for a pass, how to apply or renew your pass, and what to do if you lose your pass. Including information about senior bus passes.

With a Disabled Person's Bus and Train Pass you can travel for free:

  • on buses, trains and trams in South Yorkshire at any time.
  • on Northern Rail trains between South Yorkshire and West Yorkshire.
  • on any off-peak (9.30am to 11pm) and all day at weekends and bank holidays on any local bus journey in England. 

If you want to help with parking accessibility, you need to apply to the Blue Badge scheme.  

Do I qualify for a Disabled Person's Bus and Train Pass?

There is no minimum age restriction to applying for a Disabled Person's Bus and Train Pass. However, persons over 66 years of age who are not registered blind or partially-sighted, or who do not require the assistance of a carer to travel, are not eligible and should apply for a Senior Pass.

You will qualify for a Disabled Person's Bus and Train Pass if you live in Doncaster and you meet any of the following conditions:

  • You are registered with one of the following disabilities with Doncaster Council Social Services
    • Blind
    • Partially sighted
    • Physically disabled
    • Deaf
    • Without speech
    • You have a Learning disability   
  • You have been issued a Blue Badge (for parking) by Social Services
  • You are in receipt of the higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • You are in receipt of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) with an award of 8 points in either “Moving Around” or “Communicating”.
  • You are in receipt of a War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement
  • You have been refused, or had your driving licence taken off you on medical grounds (other than on the grounds of persistent misuse of drugs and/or alcohol)
  • A doctor or other medical professional has recommended that you do not apply for a driving licence for medical reasons, for example, because you have epilepsy.
  • You have a disability or injury that has a substantial and long-term effect on your ability to walk

How do I apply for a Disabled Person's Bus and Train Pass?

If you receive one of the following;
  • the higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance, or
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP) with an award of 8 points in either “Moving Around” or “Communicating”, or
  • a War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement,
then you must:
apply for a pass online at Travel South Yorkshire

otherwise please complete the Disabled Person's Bus and Train Pass application:
Disabled Person's Pass Application

The Disabled Person's Bus and Train Pass Application is made online; Doncaster Digital Venues is a list of locations in Doncaster where you can access a computer to claim. 

If you need to provide information to support your application please complete the Disabled Person's Bus and Train Pass medical information request form, which is in the Downloads and Resources area at the bottom of this page, and email the completed form to Housing.Benefits@doncaster.gov.uk

Once we have all the information we need, we will write to you and let you know whether you are entitled to a pass. If you are entitled, to obtain your pass you must apply for a pass online attaching a scanned image or a photograph of the award letter and other evidence they need. If you do not have access to apply online you can phone travel South Yorkshire on 01709 515151.

The 'with carer' pass

A carer may be entitled to travel for free with you if you already qualify for a pass and also receive any of the following:

  • the higher rate care component of Disability Living Allowance, or
  • the higher rate of Attendance Allowance, or
  • the enhanced rate living component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

To apply for a ‘with carer’ pass, please provide proof of your Disability Living Allowance, Attendance Allowance or Personal Independence Payment.

The carer can be anyone helping you to travel, such as a relative, friend, support worker or professional carer. It does not have to be the same person every time.

How long does my Disabled Person's Bus and Train Pass last?

The expiry date is shown on the front of the pass. Your pass normally lasts for up to five years, or until you reach 66 years of age, whichever comes first.

If you are blind or partially-sighted, your pass will automatically be renewed.

How do I renew my Disabled Person's Bus and Train Pass?

The pass can be renewed up to 2 months before it runs out. You will need to complete a new application, and provide proof of your disability. For information on getting the form to us, and when you can expect to hear from us, please refer to the how do I apply section of this page above.

What if I lose my Disabled Person's Bus and Train Pass?

Contact Travel South Yorkshire by phone on 01709 515151, by post (address is above) or dropbox at the Doncaster Interchange. A charge is made for issuing a replacement.

You should also contact Travel South Yorkshire if your pass is stolen, damaged or your address details change. Stolen passes will be replaced free of charge if you have a police crime reference number.

Further details can be obtained from Travel South Yorkshire.

Looking to apply for or renew a Senior Bus Pass?

If you've reached State Pension age, you can apply for a Senior Pass for free local travel throughout England (subject to peak-hour time restrictions).
Last updated: 11 January 2024 14:24:43

Did you find this page helpful?