Section 171 - Licence to deposit building materials or excavate in the street

To place building materials and/or to make an excavation on any part of the highway a licence must be obtained from the Council

All materials must be placed on private land whenever possible.

The unauthorised placement of building materials and the making of excavations within a highway is both dangerous and illegal.    

Copies of the Highways Act 1980 can be purchased from Her Majesty's Stationery Office or accessed by this link Section 171 Highways Act 1980

How much does it cost?

The cost of a licence is £237, and £76.50 per month after (effective from 1st April 2024)

Application Form

Section 171 Licence - Use of highway
Download (88KB - DOCX)
For further information, please contact us: 


Last updated: 04 April 2024 10:34:07

Did you find this page helpful?