A training programme is available that offers a variety of courses covering issues involved in the roles and responsibilities of Governing Bodies.
Governor Training Programme
Governor training courses are available via the Buy Doncaster website
Once you're on the Buy Doncaster website then you can use the filters menu on the left hand side to select your role (Governor), then click search which will display all the events relevant to your role in school.
To apply for a place(s) on any event(s) which might be of interest then you need an account, if you don’t already have an account then you can create one to enable you to reserve places using click here for an account, if you already have an account please log in first to book places. It is essential that you book online if you wish to attend, please do not arrive without booking as it is important that arrangements can be confirmed with the venue to ensure adequate refreshments, suitable seating arrangements and sufficient materials can be prepared in advance.
Further useful information can be found on the following links:
Education : Future Directions in Doncaster Seminar
Seminars are held each school term and are open to all Governors within Doncaster. They can be booked via Buy Doncaster.
They are intended to allow for Governors to network, provide updates for Governors on ongoing issues in schools and the Local Authority and offer a choice of specific workshops addressing pertinent issues.
Presentations from the latest seminars are available to download from the Buy Doncaster website.
e-Learning for Governors
The National Governance Association (NGA) is partnering with Virtual College, one of the UK's top e-learning providers, to deliver an innovative e-learning portal for Governors, Trustees and Clerks for those schools which buy into the Governance traded service.
1. Open the following link:
2. Add your details to the self-registration form in the following order:
- Your first name
- Your last name
- Your email
- Your phone number (optional)
- Your governance role title (optional)
- Your school or academy – use the search box and make sure to select the right one using the postcode*
3. Click the green register button to submit your application for approval.
4. Approval is not immediate and you must wait for email confirmation of approval. It can take time to receive this email particularly if your application is submitted over
a weekend or in the evening.
5. Your confirmation email will be sent to you. Once you receive your email confirmation, which includes your login details you can login to Learning Link and start
to use it whenever you want to.
* If your school or academy is not listed, it may not be signed up to Learning Link. In this case please select the “My group has not been listed” box and an email will come through to us so that we can contact you.
Learning Link supplements rather than replaces conventional face-to-face training days and provides the opportunity to request further training or information and support.
8 Core Modules:
Approximate study time (per module): 2 hours
These modules provide immersive, challenging and interactive learning in all the key areas that new governors or trustees need in order to become effective in their governance role from the start. Those with more experience can refresh and test their understanding of the key areas of governance. Each module is CPD accredited.
- Governance: Your role, your responsibilities, your organisation
- Your organisation: Understanding school structures and what children should learn
- Strategy: Living your values, reaching your vision, managing the risk
- Progress and attainment: using data to improve educational outcomes
- Resources: Making the most of what you’ve got
- Working Together: Building the team and improving the organisation
- Compliance: Assuring your organisation, keeping it safe, secure and solvent
- Effectiveness: Governance making an impact, changing lives
41 Additional Modules:
Approximate study time (per module): 50 minutes
- Arts and Cultural Education: Improving your school and its curriculum
- Clerking a trust or an academy committee
- Clerking an Interim Executive Board
- Different Models of Governance
- Early Years Education
- Educational Visits
- Equality and Diversity
- E-safety for Governors and Trustees
- Getting it right as a staff governor
- Getting to know the law
- Governance of a church school
- Governing board duties on compliance
- Governors visits to schools
- Handling difficult situations
- Headteacher appraisal and capability
- Headteacher recruitment - succession planning
- Health and Safety
- Helping struggling governing bodies
- Introduction to Clerking Academies
- Introduction to Clerking Maintained Schools
- Key Functions of the governing board
- Looked after children
- Managing Academy Finance
- Monitoring and evaluation
- Monitoring performance data and targets
- Ofsted Inspection of Schools
- Planning for succession in the governing board
- Preparing for a meeting
- Pupil Premium
- Recording a meeting
- Safeguarding: the governors role
- School teacher appraisal and capability
- Supporting the governing board in raising school standards
- The clerk as co-ordinator of continuing professional development
- The clerk’s role in the appointment of the headteacher or deputy
- The constitution of the governing board
- The governing board's role in school improvement
- The role of the SEND governor
- Understanding schools finance
Approximate study time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Using a case study and the voices and stories of those governing, this brand new CPD accredited module explores key challenges and common pitfalls, what effective governance looks like, and how this can be built. It provides practical guidance, information and tools to enable you and your board to evaluate board performance and improve effectiveness.
- Effective MAT Governance
A range of resources covering current governance-related issues for you to download and keep
- GDPR: An overview for governors
- Governor Recruitment
For further information, please contact us:
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- tel: 01302 737111 or 737193 or 737192
Back to School Governors main page.