How to apply for a primary school place.
Guidance on Admissions for Overseas Nationals Entering the UK
Before applying for a school place you should check that you have have a right of abode or that the conditions of your immigration status otherwise permit you to access a state-funded school.
Schools in Doncaster admit children to reception classes in September at the start of the school year if they have had their fourth birthday on or before 31 August.
To Move Schools for This School Year - 2020/21
Please note: You are advised to read the Guidance Notes in the downloads and resources section of the page before making your application. If you are applying for a church school you must also complete the relevant additional information form from the Download and Resource section of this page.
Apply for SEPTEMBER 2021 - Reception or a Junior School (Year 3)
Children due to attend full time in a reception class or transferring to a Junior school can apply now.
It is important to apply as a number of schools will be full next September.
You are encouraged to include your catchment area school as one of your preferences even if this is not your first choice.
- Closing Date for applications is 15 January 2021.
- National offer date is 16 April 2021. Emails will be sent out on this date confirming places.
You should also be aware that we have several faith schools in Doncaster (Catholic and Church of England) which you are able to apply for. All schools are listed for selection within the application process online:-
- Hooton Pagnell All Saints C of E Primary School
- Branton St Wilfrid's C of E Primary School
- Canon Popham C of E Primary Academy
- Holy Family Catholic Primary School
- Mexborough St. John the Baptist C of E Primary School
- Our Lady of Mount Carmel Catholic Primary School
- Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic Primary School
- Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Voluntary Academy
- Rossington St Michael's C of E Primary School
- St Alban's Catholic Primary School
- St Francis Xavier Catholic Primary School
- St Joseph & St Teresa's Catholic Primary School
- St Joseph's School, A Catholic Voluntary Academy
- St Mary's Catholic Primary School, Edlington
- St Oswald's C of E Academy
- St Peter's Catholic Primary School
- Tickhill St Mary's Church of England Primary and Nursery School
- Travis St Lawrence C of E Primary School
Deferred Entry – Summer Born Children
Parents of summer born children (born between 1 April and 31 August) are currently able to request that their child defer entry to a reception class for a full academic year. When such a request is made, the admission authority, responsible for admission to the school will make a decision on the basis of the circumstances of the case and in the best interests of the child concerned, taking into account the views of the head teacher and any supporting evidence provided by the parent.
If the request is allowed, normal admission rules will apply and there is no guarantee that a place will be offered at the requested school(s).
Parents should initially make contact with the Local Authority, for community schools or directly to the requested school in all other cases setting out their request during the autumn term after their third birthday. This will ensure that they do not miss out on a place at the normal point of entry which should be made by the national closing date - 15 January.
Parents should set out their reasons for their request using the Deferred Entry Request Form and send it to the relevant admission authority. Further guidance and the form can be found at the right hand side of this page.
Proposed Changes to the Current Arrangements – Summer Born Children
Whilst the Government have stated that they intend to consult on arrangements to make this an automatic approval, no further details on this proposal or timescales have yet been published.
Children reach compulsory school age on the prescribed day following their 5th birthday (or on their fifth birthday if it falls on a prescribed day). The prescribed days are 31 August, 31 December and 31 March.
Where parents apply for admission to a reception class for a child who is not of statutory school age, and parents wish to defer entry, a child should be admitted to the class no later than the beginning of the summer term in the reception year.
Parents can request that their child attends part-time until the child reaches compulsory school age and the request will be considered where it appears to be in the best interest of the child. The request should be made directly to the school concerned once their child has been offered a place.
For further information, please contact us:
- 2021-22 Primary Booklet
- Download (7.6MB - PDF)
- 2020 and 2021 C of E Additional Information Form
- Download (117KB - PDF)
- 2021-22 Additional Information Form - Catholic Primary
- Download (519KB - PDF)
- 2021-22 Additional Information Form - St Joseph and St Teresa Catholic School
- Download (410KB - PDF)
- 2021-22 Additional Information Form - Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic School
- Download (408KB - PDF)
- 2020-21 Additional Information Form - Catholic
- Download (369KB - PDF)
- 2020-21 Additional Information Form - St Joseph and St Teresa Catholic School
- Download (373KB - PDF)
- 2020-21 Additional Information Form - Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic School
- Download (371KB - PDF)
- DfE Research - Summer Born Children
- Download (56KB - PDF)
- Doncaster Council Deferred Admission Request Form
- Download (230KB - PDF)
- Guidance Deferred Entry For The Admission Of Summer Born Children
- Download (138KB - PDF)
- DfE Admisisons Advice For Parents
- Download (124KB - PDF)