Advocates for Children and Young People

Advocacy means having an adult to help you get your message across. They will support you to make sure your voice is heard when plans are being made to support you.

Who can be supported by an advocate?

We provide an advocate for any child or young person who has a Doncaster social worker, even if they live in another part of the country. Any young person can request support from an advocate. If you are a young person making a complaint about children's social care in Doncaster you can ask for an advocate to support you with this even if you do not have a social worker. 

What can an advocate do for you?

They can:

  • Help you express your views and opinions in meetings
  • Support you to complain about something you are unhappy about
  • Help you to understand your rights
  • Go to meetings and speak for you if you don’t want to attend
  • Help to change things in your life
  • Make sure you're being  listened to
  • Support you to speak up for yourself
  • Be there for you

How can I get an advocate?

You can ask someone to contact us about advocacy. This could be a family member, a carer, a social worker, an IRO (independent reviewing officer) or anybody else who you trust.  

Or you can contact us yourself in any of the following ways:

  • Calling: 01302 735540
  • Emailing:
  • Posting us a letter including your name, address and telephone number (if you have one) and sending it to: 

The Advocacy Team, Colonnades House, Duke Street, Doncaster, DN1 1ER

Last updated: 05 April 2023 08:40:38

Did you find this page helpful?