Fire safety in houses in multiple occupation

A higher standard of fire precaution and protection is required in houses of multiple occupation compared to that of a single occupied dwelling.

Assessment of fire safety standards

Both the council and South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service have fire safety enforcement powers in houses in multiple occupation.

In all dwellings the housing health and safety rating system (HHSRS) is used by the council to assess the risk of fire causing harm to occupants and visitors to the property. The LACORS Housing – Fire Safety Guidance is written for landlords and enforcing authorities to help determine, via a risk assessment, what fire protection works are required for an individual property.

Fire safety risk assessment

This legislation is enforced by South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service and requires landlords to carry out a 'suitable and sufficient' fire risk assessment. Landlords are then required to act upon the findings to make sure that their property is adequately protected against fire.

Further information

Last updated: 11 May 2018 14:10:16