Children who are a healthy weight tend to be fitter, healthier, better able to learn, and more self-confident. They're also much less likely to be overweight and have health problems in later life.
Healthy weight children
In Doncaster almost a quarter of children aged 4-5 years and over a third of children aged 10-11 years are overweight or very overweight.
It can be difficult for parents to tell if their child is overweight, this is partly because more children are becoming heavier at an earlier age, so we have been used to seeing bigger children.
Because excess weight can lead to range of health problems in childhood and in adulthood it is important that we know how many children are affected and provide the right support for them and their families.
We do this through the National Child Measurement Programme (NCMP).
What is NCMP?
Under the programme:
- the weight and height of children in reception class (aged 4 to 5 years) and year 6 (aged 10 to 11 years) are measured
- the results are then used to plan better services and learn more about changes in the population
- trained NHS staff measure your child at school, clothed and in private, and the results are confidential
- you will receive a letter about the programme before your child is measured and the results will be sent to you by post afterwards
For ideas and information about what to do when your child is overweight and a video about the National Child Measurement Programme visit:
Positive steps you can take
If you have learned that your child is overweight, there are some simple steps you can take and support is available locally.
Eating a healthy diet and moving more can help your child achieve a healthy weight. It's also good for you to get healthier as a family, by doing more activities and changing your eating habits together.
- healthy eating and weight management
- getting active
- Change4life website - sign up and get started with some great activity and food ideas
For further information, please contact us:
- email: email@example.com
- tel: 01302 734581