During the COVID-19 response period we have built new partnerships and learned more about the challenges that our communities face and the strengths they possess, enabling us to better understand how we can strengthen our response to Covid-19 and, also, build back better for the future.
We have reflected on our work so far and recognise there is more to be done. We understand the challenges Covid -19 has brought to Doncaster’s communities, those living in poverty, people from B.A.M.E. communities and people with disabilities.
As part of this, we are establishing our community connectors project. This will see ten community connectors, which are paid roles of at least 20 hours a week, who will be hosted in Voluntary, Community and Faith groups across Doncaster. The Community Connectors will be trusted people within their communities and their role will be to:
- Use informal networks, local connections and knowledge to reach people (target audience), in workplaces, communities, neighbourhoods and local social hubs
- Have motivational and strengths-based conversations
- Link with existing community groups and organisations who are already embedded in the heart of the communities, leaving a legacy through them
- Increase capability, opportunity and motivation, to self-motivate to increase community participation
- Reach people who are isolated and disconnected from their community
- Help others to access support
We are really excited to get our community connectors on board so we can build our relationships with communities across Doncaster and provide a meaningful forum for everyone’s voice to be heard. As soon as we have more to update on this project, including introducing the community connectors themselves, we will update this page.
Covid 19 information
As the Covid-19 pandemic continues, we know many communities have questions about the virus and the vaccination programme, too. There are a range of pages on the council website for further reading, guidance and information: