Advice for employees

Employees have the right to a safe and healthy workplace where all of the risks to their health have been identified and adequately controlled.

If you are an employee and you think the law is being broken, or minimum standards are ignored within your workplace, you can contact your work/safety representative, or your trade union safety representative who can try to resolve the issue for you.

If the matter is not satisfactorily resolved, you can raise it with the relevant enforcing authority either the Local Authority or Health and safety Executive (HSE).

If you are a member of the public and you think a person’s health and safety is being put at risk, you can directly contact their employer to raise your concern with them or contact the relevant Enforcing Authority.

Employers must ensure they meet basic standards of health and safety. This includes providing essential welfare facilities for employees and ensuring work activities don’t create risks to either their employees or others, such as members of the public.

Welfare at work

Guidance for employers on welfare provisions

Welfare at work
Download (76KB)

Workplace health, safety and welfare

A short guide for managers

Workplace health, safety and welfare
Download (107KB)

Accident reporting

If you are an employee that has been injured at work, witnessed a dangerous occurrence, or you have been certified that you have a work related reportable disease by a doctor, you must inform your employer or the person in control of the premises as it is their responsibility to report the incident.

Contact information


Last updated: 25 August 2021 15:37:13