The Doncaster domestic abuse hub is there for ALL victims of domestic abuse. You will be listened to and treated with respect at all times. However, if you would like more specialist support there is help available for you.
There are many myths and stereotypes which minimise the experience for LGBT+ victims of abuse and make it difficult for victims to seek help.
Common myths and stereotypes are:
- Abuse doesn’t happen in same sex relationships
- Abuse in same sex relationships is not as serious as heterosexual abuse
- Abuse is more likely to be mutual
- Abuse is about size and strength - an abusive lesbian will be the more masculine one and a gay male victim will be the smaller one.
- Sexual abuse does not happen in same sex relationship – a woman cannot sexually assault another woman and a man cannot be raped,
These myths and stereotypes make it harder for professionals to feel confident to identify a perpetrator and make it difficult for LGBT+ stories of abuse to be told and heard
Existence of LGBT+ Domestic Abuse
- 25% of lesbian and bisexual women have experienced domestic abuse in a relationship (Stonewall, 2017)
- Almost half (49%) of gay and bi men have experienced at least one incident of domestic abuse from a family member or partner since the age of 16 (Stonewall, 2017)
- 80% of trans people have experienced emotional, sexual, or physical abuse from a partner or ex-partner (Scottish Transgender Alliance, 2010)
There are also some issues which are unique to the experiences of LGBT+ people
- The perpetrator may threaten to ‘out’ the victim to friends, family, colleagues, and others as a method of control.
- A victim may believe they deserve abuse due to internalised negative beliefs about themselves
- With specific reference to trans people the perpetrator may withhold medication or prevent treatment needed to express victim’s gender identity
- Refuse to use correct pronouns and prevent the abused from telling other people about their trans identity
- Ridicule the person’s body image (body shaming)
National LGBT+ helpline - Galop
Doncaster Pride is a registered Charity that works for and on behalf of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBTQ+) community in Doncaster.