Debt Advice (Council Tax)

If you are worried about debt or struggling to manage your finances, it can be difficult to know where to turn for help. In addition to the Council, there are various independent agencies and charities offering free, independent and confidential advice who may be able to help.

Speak to the Council Tax Team

If you are having difficulty paying your Council Tax, the best way to get help and advice about what to do, is by contacting the Council Tax team.

By phone on 01302 734454, or 

by emailing

Our staff will be sympathetic of your situation and will work with you to try and put arrangements in place that take your financial circumstances into account.

You can also visit our having difficulty paying page for more information.

Further advice

If you need further advice, there are a range of charities and non-profit organisations who offer free help and advice who may be able to help you.

Citizens Advice

An independent charity providing free, confidential and impartial advice on the issues affecting people’s lives.

Tel: Doncaster Borough Advice line number: 0808 278 7955 or National Advice line number: 0800 144 8848

Citizens Advice Doncaster Borough has several local offices located around Doncaster, details of which can be found at

Money Advice Service

Set up by the Government, they offer free impartial money advice over the phone and online.

Tel: 0800 138 7777

National Debt Line

An independent charity offering free, impartial and confidential debt advice.

Tel: 0808 808 4000

StepChange Debt Charity

Offering free debt advice to help you deal with your debts and find a solution.

Tel: 0800 138 1111

Money Helper

Free and impartial help with money, backed by the Government.

Problem Gambling advice and Support

If you would like advice or support relating to problem gambling, helpful information can be found at

Help with other bills

If you are also experiencing difficulty paying your utilities, such as water and electricity, your utility provider may be able to help you.

Yorkshire Water

Yorkshire Water offer a number of initiatives to help customers who are experiencing financial difficulty, have problems with arrears, or need help with their bill.

Details of the help available can be found on their website or information leaflets:

Electricity Providers / Phone & Broadband providers

If you are struggling to pay your bills, contact your provider as they may be able to help you. Their contact details can usually be found on a bill or their website.


Last updated: 17 January 2022 10:40:11