What is this for?
To book an appointment to register a birth that occurred in Doncaster.
What is it going to cost?
There is no charge to register a birth, but full or short birth certificates cost £11 each on the day of registration.
A full birth certificate is required for ID purposes such as passport, national insurance, bank account, school application and other applications. A short birth certificate cannot be used for ID purposes.
What we need from you
We will ask you to sign in to your MyDoncaster account or register for one if you don't already have one. This will allow you to track your enquiry, and for us to tell you the outcome of your request. You will also be able to access additional online services offered by us.
When you register, we will need:
- the baby’s red book from the hospital
- your baby's date and place of birth. If the birth is one of twins, triplets and so on, then the time of each birth will also be required
- whether the baby is a boy or girl
- the baby's full name
For the father (where these details are to be entered in the register):
- full name
- date and place of birth
- occupation at the time of the child’s birth or, if he was not employed at that time, his last occupation
- ID for baby’s father
For the mother:
- full name and, if applicable, maiden surname
- date and place of birth
- usual address at the date of the child’s birth
- occupation or previous occupation (optional)
- if married to baby’s father at the time of the birth, the date of the marriage
- if married to baby’s father at the time of the birth, the number of her previous children by her present husband or any previous husband
- ID for baby’s mother
It is vitally important that the information recorded in the register should be correct, so it should be checked carefully by parents at the point of registration. Any corrections that have to be made after the registration will cost up to £90.
Both parents need to attend the appointment if the couple are unmarried in order for father to be added to the birth register. If parents are married, only one parent needs to attend with ID for each of you, but you are both more than welcome to attend if you’d prefer.
If you are a same sex couple, please contact us on 01302 735222 to book your appointment so that we can confirm the information that you need to bring.
The Council is committed to meeting its data protection obligation and handling your information securely. You should make sure you read and understand the Births, Marriages, Deaths and Nationality privacy notice, which sets out what you need to know about how Doncaster Council will use your information in the course of our work as Registrars.