Apply for an exemption on a property left empty by a student

What is this for?

To apply for a Council Tax exemption on a property that:

  1. has been left empty by a student, AND
  2. the student is still the owner or tenant of the property.

For details of the qualifying criteria of a student, please see Student discount

Before applying for this reduction, please check the discounts and exemptions page for more information about the qualifying criteria.

What is it going to cost?


What we need from you

We will ask you to register for a MyDoncaster account if you haven’t already. This will allow you to track your enquiry, and for us to tell you the outcome of your request. You will also be able to access additional online services offered by us.

You will need your Council Tax account and Property Reference number to submit your request. These can be found on your bill. 

We will ask you to supply details about when the property became unoccupied, the last occupants, and details of the student.

What you should expect from us

Once submitted, we will decide if you are entitled to an exemption within 14 days. We may need to contact you if we cannot give you an exemption, or if further information is required to process your application. If your application is successful, you will be issued with a new Council Tax bill showing your reduction.

More information

Privacy Notice 
The Council is committed to meeting its data protection obligations and handling your information securely. You should make sure you read and understand the Council Tax privacy notice, which sets out what you need to know about how Doncaster Council will use your information in the course of our work.

Do it Now
Last updated: 10 February 2021 08:40:54