A care home provides support, care and accommodation for elderly people unable to live independently.

Types of care homes

There are four main types of care homes:

  • those that provide personal and social care, also known as residential homes
  • those with nursing care. These care homes – or nursing homes - have trained, experienced general nurses on duty
  • those that provide both services personal/social care and general nursing care, sometimes referred to as dual registered homes
  • those with general nursing and dementia nursing care services. These care homes have specially-trained general nurses or registered mental health nurses on duty. They are often called DE nursing homes or EMI homes

Choosing a care home

To choose a care home in Doncaster please visit the Care Quality Commission (CQC) website, which contains a list of local options. The CQC is the official watchdog for adult social care in England. It inspects and reports on adult social care services to help improve quality for people who use services. All care/residential and nursing homes must be registered and regularly inspected by commission.

From their site you can:

  • search for care homes and other services, such as home care
  • download free, independent reports on the quality of every registered care service
  • get straightforward advice and useful checklists on how to choose a good care home or care service

A local Directory (and OPTIONS Guide)- published by Octagon D&M Ltd, is released annually to assist in choosing a care home and considering the right pathway for care.

You can visit the Care Home Directory for homes within Doncaster using the link below:

Care Home Directory

Additionally, please take a look at the Options Guide for care and independent living:

OPTIONS Guide Doncaster

You can view details of Doncaster Care Homes using the link below:

How do I apply for help to move in to a care home?

Please contact us using the details at the bottom of this page to arrange a time when we can discuss your individual circumstances and needs. We will help you through the process, from checking that you're receiving all the benefits you are entitled to, filling in forms, and working out how much you will have to pay towards your care.

What are the costs?

How much you pay depends on how much money and assets you have, including things like premium bonds, bank and building society accounts, your pension and possibly the value of your home.

As a general rule, if you have more than £23,250 worth of assets you will be expected to pay the full cost of care yourself. If your assets are worth less than that, we may be able to help towards costs. See the financial assessments page for more details.

Usually, we pay the residential or nursing home the full amount of your care, and send you a bill so that you can pay your share.

Contact us

For further information, please visit our contact us page.

Emergency Social Care Team (outside office hours only)

  • tel: 01302 796000

Help to live independently

Last updated: 28 November 2023 12:33:21

Did you find this page helpful?