Am I eligible?
You can claim a free place for your child if you are in receipt of one or more of the following:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- Support through Part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act
- Have an annual household income under £16,190 and claim Child Tax Credit and / or Working Tax Credit
- Guaranteed Element of State Pension Credit
- The Working Tax Credit 4-week run on (the payment you get when you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
- Universal Credit
Children are also entitled to a place if:
- Your child is looked after by the local council
- Your child has a current statement of special educational needs (SEN) or an education, health and care plan
- Your family is in receipt of Disability Living Allowance for the child
- A child who has left care through special guardianship order, child arrangement order or adoption order
When should I apply to see if my child is eligible?
|If your child's 2nd birthday is on or between:||You can see if your eligible from:|
|1 January - 31 March||beginning of September|
|1 April - 31 August||beginning of January|
|1 September - 31 December||beginning of April|
When can my child start if they are eligible?
Your child's eligibility code will be valid from the term after their 2nd birthday.
|If your child's 2nd birthday is on or between:||He/she will be entitled to their free place from:|
|1 January - 31 March||Summer term (April onwards)|
|1 April - 31 August||Autumn term (September onwards)|
|1 September - 31 December||Spring term (January onwards)|
How do I apply to see if my child is eligible?
There are three ways to apply, you can:
1. Complete the following online application form:
How will I know if my child is eligible for a place?
- Once your application has been processed you will receive a letter confirming whether your child is eligible and explaining what you need to do to take up the offer. You will need to take this letter to your chosen childcare provider as proof of your eligibility.
- Your eligibility letter is styled like the images at the top of this page. Please ensure you read the steps 'it's easy as 1, 2, free'.
What do I need to do once I have received my eligibility letter?
- You need to decide which funded childcare provider you would like your child to go to and call them to see if they have availability (a list of funded childcare providers is sent to you with your eligibility letter)
- You then need to take your eligibility letter to your chosen childcare provider so they can use your eligibility code to claim the funding for your child.
What if I don't know which childcare I want to use?
Please like us on our following Facebook pages:
- www.facebook.com/donfis - Up to date information and links to benefit parents, prospective parents, children or young people
- www.facebook.com/donfisprofessionals - Up to date information and links to benefit all childcare providers, prospective childcare providers and schools