Frequently asked questions about free childcare places for 2 year olds

Am I eligible?

You can claim a free place for your child if you are in receipt of one or more of the following:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Support through Part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act
  • Have an annual household income under £16,190 and claim Child Tax Credit and / or Working Tax Credit
  • Guaranteed Element of State Pension Credit
  • The Working Tax Credit 4-week run on (the payment you get when you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
  • Universal Credit

Children are also entitled to a place if:

  • Your child is looked after by the local council
  • Your child has a current statement of special educational needs (SEN) or an education, health and care plan
  • Your family is in receipt of Disability Living Allowance for the child
  • A child who has left care through special guardianship order, child arrangement order or adoption order

When can my child start?

The earliest you can apply to find out if your child is eligible for a place is in the period when your child has their birthday (see table above)

If your child's 2nd birthday is on or between: He/she will become entitled to a free place from:
1 January - 31 March Summer term (April onwards)
1 April - 31 August Autumn term (September onwards)
1 September - 31 December Spring term (January onwards)

How do I apply?

There are three ways to apply, you can:

1. Complete the following online application form: 

2. Telephone the Education Returns and Collections Team on:

  • Telephone: 01302 862111/ 737138/ 862119

3. Complete an application form and post it back to us at:

  • Education Returns and Collections Team, Civic Office, Floor 3, Waterdale, Doncaster, DN1 3BU

How will I know if my child is eligible for a place?

Once your application has been processed you will receive a letter confirming whether your child is eligible and explaining what you need to do to take up the offer. You will need to take this letter to your chosen childcare provider as proof of your eligibility.

What if I don't know which childcare I want to use?

Doncaster Families Information Service can provide you with a list tailored to your needs showing details of the funded childcare providers in the areas of Doncaster most suitable to your family.

 Contact the Families Information Service via:

  • Freephone: 0800 138 4568, operates Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm, outside of these hours there is an answer phone service   
  • Telephone: 01302 862136 / 735237
  • Email: - all queries will be responded to within three working days. 

Please like us on our following Facebook pages:


Last updated: 07 December 2016 12:05:04