Warmsworth conservation area

Warmsworth was designated a conservation area on 21 December 1970. A full appraisal has yet to be carried out.

To view the location of the conservation area, please go to the Heritage Map.

Warmsworth conservation area is a linear village based on Low Road off which are agricultural and domestic buildings. Dominating the conservation area is the Grade II* listed Warmsworth Hall and its curtilage walls which divides Low Road into two parts. The Hall dates from 1701 implying the village plan form is earlier. As with many villages in the area the historic core has been subjected to infill development and surrounded by modern developments particularly suburban development along the A630 road. Of historic interest is the Quaker association with the conservation area signified by Quaker Lane and the Quaker meeting house.

The character of the conservation area derives from the traditional small scale random rubble limestone agricultural and residential buildings, sometimes rendered, and the narrow lanes linking High Road and Low Road bounded with high random coursed rubble limestone walls. Roofs are generally clay pantile on these buildings. These traditional buildings tend to date from the 17th and 18th Centuries. The more prestigious buildings such as Warmsworth House (late 18th century), the Quaker meeting house (1706) and the village school (1837) tend to have slate roofs. The oldest building in the conservation area is the unique grade II listed Bell Tower adjacent to the Hall which may be of medieval origin or be contemporary with the earlier Warmsworth Hall situated on the site of the present hall.

The fields to the west of the conservation area and the buildings of West Farm serve as an important reminder of the rural past of the area. These provide a visual break between the conservation area and the modern developments to the north and west. Playing fields to the south of the Hall grounds and its wall provide another buffer where the trees within the grounds form an important backdrop to the area. The A1(M) truncates Low Road/Barrel Lane to the east.

Within the conservation area there are seven listed structures. A list of these and a map showing their location can be viewed in the Downloads and Resources section.

The above description of the conservation area is only a brief overview and a full appraisal will be carried out that will consider in more depth the features that make up the significance of the area.

Further Information

Further Information about Conservation Areas can be found at Conservation Areas in Doncaster.

If you have any queries about the conservation area contact: conservation@doncaster.gov.uk

Doncaster Council, Civic Office, Waterdale, Doncaster, DN1 3BU

Tel: 01302 734922 or 735199

Last updated: 28 January 2019 15:03:50