How do I comment on planning applications?
Important Information - We are currently experiencing issues with some Internet browsers. If you are wanting to submit comments we recommend you use Internet Explorer. Alternatively you can email firstname.lastname@example.org. We aim to publish comments within 2 working days, if your comments are not online after this period please contact the above email address to check we have received your comments.
You can comment, support or object to an application for planning permission via:
- Planning Applications Online
- email: email@example.com
- in writing to Development Management, Civic Office, Waterdale, Doncaster, DN1 3BU
When submitting comments on Planning Applications Online for security reasons, the system will log you out if you have not submitted your comments within 30 minutes and all data will be lost.
All comments submitted by you must contain your name and address. All representations on any planning application are a matter of public record and will be scanned and placed on our website for inspection by the public. Anonymous representations will not be taken into account therefore, if you advise the local authority that you wish to withhold your name and address your comment will be treated as anonymous.
Unless there is a genuine public interest to do so the council will not publish:
- your signature
- your email address
- your telephone number
When a decision has been made, you can view a copy of the decision notice on Planning Applications Online
How will you know if a planning application has been submitted?
Ways that you might find out if a planning application has been submitted:
- neighbour notification - the council may send a neighbour notification to adjoining neighbours of a planning application site
- local press - following submission of certain applications, an advert maybe placed in the Local Press
- site notice - following submission of certain applications, a site notice may be displayed near the application site
- planning applications online - planning applications are available to view on the council's website - Planning Applications Online
Time period for making a representation
It is important to be aware that there are time limits within which to summit your comments. All important dates are available to view on Planning Applications Online against the relevant planning application.
What details should you include in your representation?
When making a representation either to support, make comment or object to a planning application it is important to clearly identify the planning application you are referring to.
The following matters are considered material planning considerations and may be relevant:
- written representations from members of the public
- views of statutory and other consultees
- government policy and guidance
- local policy and guidance
- planning site history
- impact on amenity
- impact on access, parking or road safety
- compatibility with other uses in the area
- affect on a listed building or conservation area
- affect on a tree preservation order
Other matters which are not normally material planning considerations will not be taken into account:
- devaluation of property
- loss of a view
- hours of construction
- commercial/business competition
- civil matters
- perceived health and safety risks
Note - these lists are not exhaustive
Important information about making comments:
- objections or supporting comments on applications must be rational, impersonal and directed principally to the planning issues raised by the proposal
- comments of a personal, slanderous, libellous, defamatory, or otherwise offensive or abusive nature will not be tolerated and we reserve the right to remove any inappropriate comments
- comments or representations published have not been checked for accuracy and are the views only of the author or authors
The Council is committed to meeting its data protection obligations and handling your information securely. You should make sure you read and understand the Planning Services privacy notice, which sets out what you need to know about how Doncaster Council will use your information in the course of our work as a Local Planning Authority.
- tel: 01302 736000