Anyone who handles waste must take all reasonable steps to ensure that it's managed properly.

If you're operating a waste carrier business, you must have a licence from the Environment Agency to do so.

If you are unsure whether the paid tradesperson/handyman has a waste carriers licence to transport and dispose of such waste call the Environment Agency National Customer Contact Centre on 08708 506 506 or check the Public Register. To access the Public Register visit Public register of licenced waste carriers. You can also find people or businesses that are registered as waste carriers within a specified radius of your home from the following site Environment Agency - search for waste carriers 

The handling of waste includes the process of producing, importing, keeping, storing, transporting, treating or disposing of it. 

If you breach this duty of care, you could receive a penalty fine of up to £5,000 if convicted in the Magistrates court. The fine is unlimited if you're convicted in the Crown Court. Here are our current prosecutions against unregistered carriers of waste.

Duty of care regulations apply to commercial premises/businesses, householders, and those who transport waste. Since the (Household Waste) Duty of Care Regulations 2005, all householders must ensure that household waste is properly disposed of. 

If you want more information or wish to make a report of incidents witnessed please email

Always follow the S.C.R.A.P. code when organising for household waste to be removed will assist in not employing the correct tradesmen.

  • S - Suspect all waste carriers; do not let them take your waste until they have proven themselves to be legitimate. A professional waste carrier should happily answer reasonable questions. 
  • C - Check that a waste carrier is registered on the Environment Agency's website.
  • R - Refuse any unexpected offers to have your rubbish taken away. If you suspect that someone who you have spoken to will be disposing of waste illegally, report them to the Environment Agency.
  • A - Ask what will happen to your rubbish and seek evidence that it is going to be disposed of appropriately. 
  • P - Paperwork must be obtained: a proper invoice, waste transfer note or receipt, including a description of the waste being removed and the waste carrier’s contact details.
Last updated: 02 April 2024 08:23:12

Did you find this page helpful?