The council provides a vehicle crossing facility (dropped kerb) which is safe, serviceable, fit for purpose and is of a quality that reflects acceptable highway standards and specifications within the maintenance limitations of the existing footway. It is an offence under the Highways Act 1990 drive over the public footway without an approved dropped crossing.

Apply for a dropped kerb

If you would like to apply for a vehicle crossing facility, complete the following e-form and someone will contact you to discuss your requirements.

Apply for a dropped kerb

Frequently asked questions

How soon does an inspector attend to measure up for a dropped kerb?

When the request for a dropped kerb has been received by the council an inspection usually takes place within 2 to 3 weeks of your request. Due to the unprecedented demand for drop crossings at the moment our response times are longer than normal.

How soon after the inspector visits is the quotation sent out?

The quotation letter usually goes out within 7-10 days after the inspection by 2nd class post.

Do I need Planning Permission to have a dropped crossing constructed?

If your property is on a classified road (see list of classified roads below) you will need to apply to the Council’s Planning Department for planning permission.

Doncaster Council Classified Roads A, B C
Download (591KB - PDF)

Planning permission can be applied for by clicking the following link:

Apply for planning permission

If the dropped kerb is for the benefit of an existing residential property a ‘Householder planning permission’ application would be required.

If the dropped kerb is for the benefit of a non-residential property a ‘Full planning permission’ application would be required.

We will need to see written evidence of any planning application decision before we can give final approval of your dropped crossing request, this will need to be enclosed with your signed quotation letter. 

Do I need approval of St Leger Homes or a private landlord for a dropped crossing?

Yes, in both cases we will want to see the written permission of the landlord before any application for a dropped crossing can be finally approved for construction.  

When will the work on the dropped kerb begin?

Works usually commence on site within 2 to 3 months of payment being received by the council. Payment is by an invoice we send to you once you accept the quotation. Our contractor will contact you with a firm start date nearer the estimated commencement date?       
Can I pay for my dropped kerb by instalments?
Yes, in certain circumstances you can pay by instalments but this is by agreement with our finance section. The account needs to be paid in full up the the 31st March of the year the payment plan is set up before any work can be carried out. 

Can I put a dropped kerb in or do I have to go through the Council?

Customers cannot put in dropped kerbs themselves. 

Once I have paid for the drop crossing and it is constructed do I own it?

No, the payment to the council just allows you the legal right to cross the highway and does not entitle you to any legal ownership, this is still with Doncaster Council.

Technical specifications and Terms and Conditions

Accommodation of Works

The quotation does not include for any accommodation work which may be required on unadopted highway / private property to facilitate the sighting / level alignment of the vehicular crossing facility. The existing highway back of footway level alignment will be carried through wherever practicable to facilitate positive drainage characteristics and to maintain the continuity of the walking surface for pedestrians. It is the applicants responsibility to arrange for accommodation works to be carried out on their own property should this be necessary.

Agreed Location

Unless otherwise specified by the applicant and agreed with Doncaster Council's Clerk of Works, the crossing facility will normally be sited central to any existing drive opening which is apparent at the time of marking out and scheduling the works. If no such opening exists then the applicant should agree the required siting of the crossing with the Clerk of Works at the time of the first site visit. Paint marks will be placed on the footway to indicate the agreed location. Any change in the agreed position of the crossing after construction works commences on site will result in additional costs being charged to the applicant.

Crossing Usage

Unless otherwise notified, it is accepted that the standard light duty crossing facility will be used to carry cars/vans to a maximum laden weight of 3 Tonnes. Should the applicant intend to take heavier vehicles over the crossing then a strengthened construction will be required and this should be declared at the time of applying for the crossing facility. (The applicant should note that the cost of any damage/repairs to a footway which has not been adequately constructed/approved to carry heavier vehicular loadings will be recharged).

Terms and Conditions

  • All materials used in providing the crossing facility are and shall remain the property of the Highway Authority (Doncaster Council).
  • The crossing shall be constructed to the Highway Authority's specification and prescribed standards and will become the responsibility of the Highway Authority for future maintenance in accordance with highway maintenance policies so prevailing.


Last updated: 21 November 2022 08:33:13

Did you find this page helpful?