What is Overview and Scrutiny?
Overview and Scrutiny Panels are primarily made up of Councillors who examine decisions, policies and actions of the Mayor and Cabinet and other bodies that deliver services to residents and the borough such as the local National Health Service (NHS). Although it has no decision making powers Overview & Scrutiny can put forward suggestions for improvement and can publicly hold decision makers to account. This enhances transparency nd promotes effective decision making.
Overview & Scrutiny provides checks and balances within decision making. It can operate as a 'think tank', openly exploring issues, services and policies, which affect the economic, environmental and social well-being of the public of Doncaster and contributes to the development of future policies and strategies. It also acts as a "watchdog" reviewing and considering decisions before and after they have been taken and ensuring performance monitoring arrangements are effectively undertaken. Overview and Scrutiny Panels can also consider the work of other bodies whose activities impact on local residents such as the Police and local health services.
What Scrutiny is unable to do
Scrutiny is unable to respond to individual complaints. Information on how to complain can be obtained from:
- the council’s Comments and complaints section via the Get in touch page
Overview & Scrutiny does not act as an appeals committee and cannot consider the outcome of Licensing and Planning applications.
How can you get involved?
- attend meetings - most Scrutiny meetings are open to the public and you can listen to the debate and discussion - they are generally held in the Civic Office, in central Doncaster, as well as at other locations in the borough
- raise an issue - if you wish to bring something to the attention of Scrutiny, you can make a statement at a relevant Panel meeting, or write or e-mail the Chair of the relevant Panel
- consultation- you could be asked for your views on an issue or be invited to provide any specialist knowledge you have by being a witness in a Scrutiny Review
How Overview and Scrutiny is undertaken
Overview & Scrutiny has a Management Committee and 4 Overview and Scrutiny Standing Panels made up of councillors plus others who can be co-opted from outside organisations and groups. The Panels are thematic considering issues that affect Children & Young People, Health & Adults Social Care, Regeneration & Housing and Communities & Environment. The Overview & Scrutiny Management Committee has a wider brief co-ordinating and overseeing the work of the panels, holding decision makers to account.
OSMC agrees an Annual programme of work that is regularly reviewed to take account of any additional issues that may arise during the course of the year. The work and activities of Overview and Scrutiny are reported to Council via an Annual Report in July and an update report in December/January.
Other Scrutiny information:
- Public Information Sheet (attendance at meetings)
- Call-In Procedure (for members use only)
- Calendar of Scrutiny Meetings
- Doncaster Council Constitution
- Overview and Scrutiny Annual Report 2016 to 2017
- Download (550KB - PDF)
- Overview and Scrutiny Annual Report 2015 to 2016
- Download (404KB - )
- Overview and Scrutiny Annual Report 2014 to 2015
- Download (403KB - )