The environmental health team ensures the laws regarding undue noise, smells, rubbish and private drainage are kept.

The team also keeps in touch with the water companies and monitors water quality.

Report blocked drains online:

You will need to give your name, address, telephone number and email address.

More information

Out of hours

An environmental health officer is available 24 hours a day 365 days a year.

To report an environmental emergency:

  • tel: 01302 341628

The duty officer will advise or refer the matter to the appropriate service. If necessary he/she will make a personal visit to ensure enforcement action.


The network of sewers taking waste from residential properties is part private and part public.

The pipework carrying sewage from more than one property is the responsibility of Water Company to whom you pay your sewerage rates. Pipework carrying sewage from one property is also the responsibility of the Water Company after it crosses the boundary of your house. This means that you are only responsible for maintenance and repair of any drain which carries sewage from your home up to the boundary of your property, although exceptions will apply.

To find out what this means to you please visit the website of the company to which you pay your water rates:

If you have a problem which you cannot resolve or have a problem with surface water please contact the environmental team using the eform.

Blocked drain - who to contact

If it on is a St Leger Homes property contact:

  • customer services on 01302 736000
  • or St Leger Homes direct on 01302 862862

If the property is owner occupied or privately rented the responsibility lies with the property owner, although a claim may be possible on your household insurance. If the blockage is on just one property, the owner must unblock and repair the drain. If you intend to make a claim, it is advisable to contact your  insurers before beginning the work.

If more than one property is affected contact your water company.

In case of difficulty, contact Customer Services on 01302 736000 who will pass your detail on to Environmental Health.

Alternatively, fill in the eform at the top of the page.

If you need to see an environmental officer in person you will need to:

  • keep any appointment made
  • give your name, address and telephone number
  • be prepared to make a written statement and possibly appear in court

The officer/adviser will:

  • give you the name and contact details of the person dealing with your query
  • produce identification when visiting your home
  • keep you informed as to procedures, progress and any delays
  • respond to request regarding blocked drains within one day and drainage CCTV survey within seven days (Drainage surveys are rechargeable) 
  • respond to postal or email enquires within seven days
  • answer telephone calls within five ring
  • give an explanation if a problem cannot be resolved

Complaints regarding the service received can be made by contacting the Team Leader on:

  • tel: 01302 737535.



Last updated: 18 October 2019 16:05:01

Did you find this page helpful?